What should a "new" AL tank look like inside?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueDolphin:
Amazing.... you guys are able to VIS a tank over the net like that. Spooky.

Yeah but think about it. The LDS was out of stickers and has yet to do the actual VIP. They'll do it when I pick up my steels from VIP. Now what if, and it's a what if, the tank was actually in poor shape and someone slapped a sticker on it and sold it to me? I think it's awesome to have access to resources like this so we can become informed consumers/divers. Hummmmm, maybe it's an idea to build a "VIP camera" and start a VIP over the net business :eyebrow:

Won't work!
There is a lot more to a VIP than just "looking inside". It's relativly easy on a new tank simply because they are in such good shape. Older tanks require the hands on evaluation of any "defect" or "area of intrest". A proper visual on an older tank takes at least 15 to 20 minutes, assuming all the stickers, decals and boot have been removed before they reach my vis bench.

FT

FredT:
Won't work!
There is a lot more to a VIP than just "looking inside". It's relativly easy on a new tank simply because they are in such good shape. Older tanks require the hands on evaluation of any "defect" or "area of intrest". A proper visual on an older tank takes at least 15 to 20 minutes, assuming all the stickers, decals and boot have been removed before they reach my vis bench.

FT

Yeah I know Fred, just being facitious (is that how it's spelled?) but it was a good way for me to get an idea about the general condition of the tank considering it's been sitting around awhile. I've looked at some cracked tank necks in the LDS using some type of light tool, not sure what it's called but it showed a nice magnified view of the cracks. I know there's more to it. Anyway, thanks to you and the others for all the help. As always I learn something new on SB all the time.

akscubainst:
So, can you explain how you got the picture to turn out? Might be useful in the future.

Thanks

Dave

I was surprised it came out myself. I used my Olympus C5050 digital I use underwater. The original of the pic I posted is actually higher resolution. I knocked it down a bit to post it to the web. I was amazed actually when I zoomed in several times on the original shot how much detail I could see on the tank. I disabled the flash, useless as only the lens was inline with the opening. It was shot using ambient light from the flashlight. I put the camera in Macro (versus SuperMacro) mode and zoomed into the bottom to focus on the bottom and not the neck. I had to move the camera around a bit to "trick" the infrared focuser. I suppose I could have done manual focus etc. but I got a good shot after say maybe 5 or 6 trys so that's where I stopped. I tweaked it a little in Photoshop and that's it. You would need a decent camera to do this, a point and shoot el cheapo won't work. I had to do this once before on Ebay to shoot the inside of a motorcycle gas tank. Guy wanted to see detail of internal rust. Crazy but I sold the tank :)

RiverRat:
OK here goes. I bought a 30cf pony at the LDS last night. Nice and shiny. How old could it be right? Well like an idiot I blindly trusted them and was a little annoyed when I got home and saw the date stamp of 07@02. So basically 2.5 years and I need a hydro. It was also empty, no air but with valve attached. So I start to thinking, not really good to sit around for 3 years without air in it. I stick my flashlight in it just now and, I know aluminum won't rust, but it looks like black rust on the bottom, like pitted type spots. And on the sides 1-2 inches up. Is this Aluminum oxide "rust". Now I'm concerned it'll fail hydro in 2 years.........Did I get burned here????? I'm going back tomorrow as I paid new price on this. Never ends..............

Probably a dead rat or something... :eyebrow: lucky you...

Dinner is Served

Back
Top Bottom