What rig would be better for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you ever attempted to swim while missing a tank in SM? You're terribly lopsided (unless the tanks aren't very full, but then why ditch them?). Aside from that, in an emergency would you want a solution that requires waiting until you can unclip tanks (maybe even bc or drysuit connections) before ditching?

I tried to stay out of this, but I just can't anymore... :wink:

I did a few dives recently in a tropical location with a single sidemount cylinder. Granted, it was an AL80, but I did have a 3lb trim weight on the cylinder. An AL80 is 4lbs positive empty. A 3lb trim weight brings that to 1lb positive. 12.5 cf weighs 1lb. So ending my dives with about 1000 psi put me at 1lb negative. At the beginning of the dives I was about 5lbs negative. A Worthington 85 is 1lb negative empty. Each 400 psi weighs about a pound. So at 1600 psi I would be 5lbs negative, same as a full AL80. Not once during any of my dives did I feel off balance or lopsided. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't feel lopsided with a Worthington 85 filled to 1600 psi, or even 2000 psi for that matter.

What are u wearing for thermol protection. That is the ultimate air space that has to be weighted down. Al or steels are negitive bouyant when mt or at least close to it. The weight you need for those tanks should be for your full swing from negitive bouyant when full to negative bouyant when you have safely surfaced.
I use a White fusion with a body glove wick and a 4th element exotherm insulation. I put 40 al 40% deco bottle on my back and jump in and sink in FW. I weight 180 am 5'10. When I hook up my hp130s under water off the jon line I have to inflate my suit and my wing or on disconnect I will be like an achor.

The drysuit and your insulation my be your problem.

It sounds like a segway to side mounted BC. My OMS has double inflation but they are on top of each other. Someone has to bring out the double bladder SM configuration.
Wait I have said too much.

???

There are several double bladdered SM wings available, I guess you missed that boat, or did I say to much?

the boat is still at the dock.
I have a double bladder OMS. the bladders lay on top of each other. What i was suggesting was a double bladder in one wing with the bladders laid out left side and right side. This would help to adjust ones role. It would be like transferring fuel from one wing to the other to keep a plane trim.

I have a double bladder OMS. the bladders lay on top of each other. What i was suggesting was a double bladder in one wing with the bladders laid out left side and right side. This would help to adjust ones role. It would be like transferring fuel from one wing to the other to keep a plane trim.

:shakehead:

Plus an auto-pilot computer with a pump that would move air from left to right and vise versa automatically maintaining the trim.

What i was suggesting was a double bladder in one wing with the bladders laid out left side and right side. This would help to adjust ones role. It would be like transferring fuel from one wing to the other to keep a plane trim.

i would think it would be a PITA to manipulate separate bladders, especially venting as you ascend.

Thats a brilliant idea, please dump loads of money into manufacturing this product. I'm sure it'll work out in the end.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom