What rig would be better for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would consider taking an intro to tech course if I were you. I think you're missing some fairly important concepts to a technical gear config.

Ditching that much usable gas just because of a wing failure is downright silly.

I would consider re-reading my posts before making those advices.

I would consider re-reading my posts before making those advices.
Which part?

Where you said doubles need a larger wing because they lack ditchable weight? Or where you suggested ditching usable gas to solve an emergency?

Both are severely misguided.

For anyone else out there listening, don't throw away perfectly good breathing gas.

Hmmm ... since this is in the SM rather than cave forum, I'm going to say it depends on circumstances and on what other options are available.

To my concern, misguided would be applying a certain way of thinking without considering how well it applies to the situation you've found yourself in. In an OW circumstance, if dumping a tank gets me to the surface, what's the downside? I've still got one to breathe for the ascent, and there's all the gas I'll ever need up there ... and not having the tank will make it easier to assure that once there, I stay there.

Mind you, it won't be my first option ... but I would never say never.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hmmm ... since this is in the SM rather than cave forum, I'm going to say it depends on circumstances and on what other options are available.

To my concern, misguided would be applying a certain way of thinking without considering how well it applies to the situation you've found yourself in. In an OW circumstance, if dumping a tank gets me to the surface, what's the downside? I've still got one to breathe for the ascent, and there's all the gas I'll ever need up there ... and not having the tank will make it easier to assure that once there, I stay there.

Mind you, it won't be my first option ... but I would never say never.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Have you ever attempted to swim while missing a tank in SM? You're terribly lopsided (unless the tanks aren't very full, but then why ditch them?). Aside from that, in an emergency would you want a solution that requires waiting until you can unclip tanks (maybe even bc or drysuit connections) before ditching?

Have you ever attempted to swim while missing a tank in SM? You're terribly lopsided (unless the tanks aren't very full, but then why ditch them?). Aside from that, in an emergency would you want a solution that requires waiting until you can unclip tanks (maybe even bc or drysuit connections) before ditching?

No (although now I'm gonna have to try it) ... but if I'm making a direct ascent I'm not going to be swimming anyway ... all I have to control is my ascent rate. Unclipping ain't a big whoop unless I want to stow my hoses ... which if I'm making that sort of decision I won't be particularly worried about.

As I said, it wouldn't be my first option ... but I wouldn't rule it out either ... not in a direct ascent situation ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I would use my redundant bouyancy to lift me to the surface, rather than ditch perfectly good gas.

Which part?

Where you said doubles need a larger wing because they lack ditchable weight? Or where you suggested ditching usable gas to solve an emergency?

Both are severely misguided.

The part that talks about dry suit failure.

Unless I missed something the OP was not talking about technical diving anywhere in the posts.
In any case there are many option and ditching the tank is one of them. What position it takes in the list of priorities is another question.

While calculating the weight of my wing i have to account for the weight of the gas as well as the buoyancy of my drysuit less ditchable weight. Simply because if my suit fails I have to be able to pull myself out with the wing and all the weight that I can ditch I obviously do not have to pull. Plus aome safety margin. I hope this is clear at this point

Given doubles have more weight that is not ditchable (at least that would be close to 6-8lbs I think in the form of bands and crossbar) you have to take this to the lift calculation. If you make a decision not to have any ditchable weight at all obviously tge requirements for the lift will be the same.

So if I have 10 lb of gas and my drysuit is 20 lb buoyant and no weight is ditchable i need to have at least 30 lb wing assuming my rig is balanced. If i have 10 lb ditchable I need 20 lb+ wing as i can get rid of 10 lbs in case of failure.

Now tell me how this is missguided.

Now when you say I will use redundant buoyancy... If your wing doesnot have enough lift its not your second redundant buoyancy device and you will have to have a liftbag as well. So that actually means that with too small of a wing lif you can only sustain one failure and if the wing is adequate you can sustain two.

The funniest conclusion that some people I see drew from the posts is it can only be one way either having the redundant buoyancy or ditching the bottle. Those are options and how you prioritize them is the choice the diver has to make.
And in case of DS failure your wing is in fact your backup buoyancy device.

Ugh thats a lot just to explain that the doubles give you less potential for ditchable weight

Last edited:
I would use my redundant bouyancy to lift me to the surface, rather than ditch perfectly good gas.

I would too ... as long as that's an option.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

When would it ever not be?

... if I didn't have redundant buoyancy ... most of the world dives that way, yanno.

I repeat ... this ain't the cave forum ... think outside your "world" for a moment ... SM is showing up in lots of places outside of caves these days ... including some tropical destinations ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom