What regs do you use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Doobie Do

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm curious what regulators everyone actively uses. If you use different regulators for different types of diving I'd be interested to hear your different setups.

Currently using Scubapro MK25 Evo/ S600. I really like it, but I am thinking about picking up a MK17 Evo/ S620 Ti
I wouldn't, unless you have a specific reason.

Good regs are good regs, regardless of brand. Know what you dive, dive what you know. Everybody has different reasons for diving the regs they dive (for example, I know how to service mine, and can do field repairs pretty comfortably). I have dive buddies who dive "lower quality" regs than I do, and they're better divers than I am, and just as happy with their gear.

I'm the last person to say "it's all the same". And it's not. But unless you have a specific goal (environmentally sealed, back-end support, price, etc), it'll probably wash out eventually.

Unless you have a CDX5 and haven't been able to get a factory parts kit for almost a year now.

I have tried aqualung, Scubapro, deep 6, dive-rite, my personal favorites are the atomic aquatics. All of mine are sealed, I have a set of Z3’s for teaching, a few sets of B2’s depends on wet or dry suit diving, I use the M1’s for my doubles. Dive rites for my deco bottles. I have never over breathed the atomic, whether deep and cold vs shallow and warm. Other then the material in them, all built exactly the same. I buy service kits and all the kits are interchangeable to service my own regs. ( I am qualified to do so) I can customize them make them the color I want, 3 year or 200 dive service interval.

Entry level atomic aquatics Z2's they seem more than fine not that I'd know as I haven't used an expensive set

If in in my BCD for teaching or DMing - then I have a ste of DIN Apex XTX 50 which are a really nice reg with easy breathing. They're set up in the conventional way (both regs coming from RH side and standard hose lengths.

For fun diving I use Aqualung Legend LX Supremes - On both primary and Alt as well as pony/stage cylinders.

Both my main regs are on 40" hoses. The Alt has a 90 degree swivel and primary an omni swivel

My primary comes from the right and alt from the left (which I believe is better for air share)

Deco cylinders above 50% I use Apex XTX 100.

Note: I get my regs at UK prices which are significantly cheaper for these brands than the USA.

I was loaned some Deep 6 regs and took them on a few dives but wasn't enamoured with them - It's not that they were bad, just (in my subjective opinion) not as nice as my current regs (which in fairness are at a higher price point than the Deep 6 regs)

I have a couple of Sherwood SRB 7900's that I use with a Magnum second and mix of old metal seconds from ScubaPro, Aqualung, and Dacor. For my pony I use my old Sherwood SRB 3200 magnum from 1980 because it performed reliably as my only reg for 30 years.

I have an old Poseidon Cyklon with a 109 safe second that may become my go to reg if it shakes down well this spring.

I have a number of vintage regs that I've gone through and tested to at least recreational limits that are used by me or loaned to friends on a more limited basis.

Bob

I just bought two sets of Apeks ATX40/DS4 as stage regs. I have a mixture of those, XTX second stages and DST first stages (for the swivel turret and 5th port routing) as well as a Mares Abyss. (And a Spiro set and a Snark II somewhere).

Club kit includes some nasty Oceanic regs whose diaphragm covers break off at the slightest excuse. They breath fine but seem slightly more likely to freeflow, although that might be due to trainees’ breathing.

Regs are regs, they are all ok now and there is no need to spend silly money. So long as they survive being in the bag at the bottom of the pile I am happy.

While the DST with a 5th port routes better on a twinset, the DS4 works and is much cheaper. It is easy to get all obsessive about these things, and that is what the marketing people want, but really staying simple works.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom