what reg recomended

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubanick

Contributor
Reaction score
well what regulator would u guys recommend
i plan on doing deep dive(no more than 130), nitrox, lake jocasee colder temps like in the lows 40's at deeper depths
i want something that breathes easy
not sure what ya mean about dryness
but i want to go ahead and buy something that i will be satisfied with
all opinions accepted good and bad

scubanick:
well what regulator would u guys recommend
i plan on doing deep dive(no more than 130), nitrox, lake jocasee colder temps like in the lows 40's at deeper depths
i want something that breathes easy
not sure what ya mean about dryness
but i want to go ahead and buy something that i will be satisfied with
all opinions accepted good and bad

You will find no shortage of opinions. I like Scubapro Mk20/G250, current analog is Mk25/S600. Apeks DS4/Tx50 is also very good. Each can be serviced readily, breathes very well at depth, have 2nd stage diaphragms that can be cleared underwater if necessary.

Don't fall for the titanium hype. Go with trusted and reliable, the tech community has many users of the regs above. They will take you pretty much wherever you want to go with your diving.

My .02

Apeks TX100 or Zeagle equivalent (I believe it's called the Flathead Six) - they are older but reliable, environmentally sealed diaphragm regs.

scubanick:
what ya mean byt the current analog
is the MK20/S600

I mean I don't think the regs I use are made anymore (Mk20 /G250.) The closest thing (piston first stage) is the Mk25, and although I prefer the internal metal parts used in the G250, they are not made anymore either. The S600 is derived from the G250HP which switched some of the metal parts used in the G250 for plastic ones.

So, as far as I know the closest you can come to the Mk20/G250 in a new reg is the Mk25/S600.

You will find lots of debate and opinion on whether piston vs diaphragm first stages are best. That is why I mentioned one of each - the DS4 is an environmentally sealed diaphragm, the Mk25 is a moving piston.

You may be a long way from needing this, but each of these setups can also be oxygen cleaned in case you ever decide to go to decompression diving with higher than 40% oxygen mixtures.

sounds good so far
does the plastic stuff in the regs pose a problem
or affect its realiability

I think the APEKS ATX50 will satisfy your requirements. Have fun.....................

The Mares MR22/Abyss would satisfy your needs as well.
Nevertheless, I'd recommend renting couple of the mentioned regs and testing them. They do breath differently and you may prefer one over the other what concerns breathing. Servicebility of the regs in your are is an issue as well.
I have the Mares Abyss and a Poseidon Jetstream, both of them are great cold water regs and easy breathers and I can strongly recommend each of them but the Poseidon is more expensive and is more difficult to find a place to service.

As mentioned, you will not ifnd any shortage of opinion. Mostly everyone will recommend the reg that they dive with. All of the regs mentioned so far are great regs and will satisfy your requirements easily. I would take a look at what is offered in your area because with regs after the initial price it breaks down to servicability. And if it is not locally achievable, you will have a big problem. What are the options at your local shop? Otherwise I think that if you are going to be doing a lot of older, lake diving, I would go with the Apeks. Best suited to your environment.

so what would the Mk250/S600 run
and i seen a lot of talk about it
who personally has one and likes it
who personally HAD one and disliked it

Back
Top Bottom