What Questions Should I Ask Before Purchase: Used Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The age concerns me a bit, especially when it comes to getting either serviced. I'm wondering if the money cost to service with parts would be better spent towards a new regulator set up? I am not a DIY service person.

I was hoping they were newer, but given the age of the owners, I'm not surprised that they are 25 years old.

Getting a deal on a fairly contemporary used regulator set can be as easy as looking up an aggressive new price (Leisure Pro for instance) subtracting an agressive service visit and enough to mitigate your risk and the fact that you are buying used / without warranty. Once you look at doing so on a 25 year old unit even $75 is generous. Without wanting to sound crass, this is a real lowball situation.

I have nothing bad to say about USD but our Sherwood gear has served us very well.

If you have the means I'd say no thanks and move on.

You have a very good chance of scoring a great deal on a late model used BC. Watch Craigslist for lead too.

Pete

A 25 yr old regulator can end up costing you more than a new one..If it needs a h/p hose thats about $35. L/p hose maybe $30.and there are 2 of them, inflator hose another $28. Then you have labor and parts..It may cost you $200.+ or more to get it serviced if it needs all that, which at its age it either needs now or very soon will. A new Sherwood Brut regulator goes for about $300. and I am pretty sure it comes with free parts for life..If you really want to buy it from your friend offer to buy them lunch for it or $20.

A 25 yr old regulator can end up costing you more than a new one..If it needs a h/p hose thats about $35. L/p hose maybe $30.and there are 2 of them, inflator hose another $28. Then you have labor and parts..It may cost you $200.+ or more to get it serviced if it needs all that, which at its age it either needs now or very soon will. A new Sherwood Brut regulator goes for about $300. and I am pretty sure it comes with free parts for life..If you really want to buy it from your friend offer to buy them lunch for it or $20.

When I read a post using scare tactics it is always comforting to see it comes from an instructor. The OP is purchasing a Reg + Octo + gauges. These items new would be over $400 online and probably over $600 at an LDS. So comparing a full rig a $300 Sherwood Brut (BTW LP sells last year's Magnum for only $200) is not a fair comparison.

I have older regulators and the hoses are fine. Also slightly used hoses from people that changed their old hoses to either long hose or myflex are cheap. Just run a WTB ad on SB, TDS, or CDF and many people will sell you their surplus hoses cheaply.

Sherwood parts are inexpensive, a rebuild kit can be found on eBay or online for less than $20 for a first and second stage. The kit for the octo is another $10. So it is cheaper to pay for the parts every other year or so than to pay to have the reg serviced yearly.

Not sure if this makes any difference, but I have a little more info. The regs are 20 years old, last used and serviced 6 years ago. They are in excellent condition, but I haven't verified that yet. She said they always had the regs serviced prior to storing.

I'm thinking about offering $50 to $75 for the Sherwood and having it as a back up as soon as I can get it serviced. I am still leaning towards getting something newer as my primary. Looking at a used Legend now through my LDS. Waiting on a quote.

Is my thinking and offer reasonable?

I still say that the Conshelf is the better reg and if you are looking at an AquaLung Legend the Conshelf was made by the same company and uses the same major service parts as all US Divers/AquaLung regs.
AquaLung parts are a little more expensive than Sherwood but are still low cost compared to many other companies.
Sherwood regs have a reputation for being simple and rugged....they are....but my experience is the major service parts, the high and low pressure seats, last longer in Conshelfs than Sherwoods. In fact I have never come across a US Divers Conshelf 2nd stage that was made after 1973 that ever wore out its LP seat.
If you are looking for a backup reg the Conshelf is the best reg I know that will still work perfectly after years of storage in less than ideal conditions.

I gave you a list of things earlier to watch out for when looking at the Conshelf, I hope it didn't put you off.

For the Sherwood you still will need to check for case cracks and there's one other biggie.....the dry bleed needs to be checked that it's working. If it isn't the piston needs to be replaced and it's quite expensive and that type of piston hasn't been used in their regs for about 15 years.

Last edited:
I would agree with Fishpie, get the conshelf. As far as the legend, the reason aqualung can name one of their regs a 'legend' is because the conshelf and it's predecessors built the 'legendary' reputation of the company. But, of course it's up to you.

Really and truly, regulators have not significantly improved in decades. And conshelfs tend to hold their value better than the older sherwoods, especially the metal 2nd stages.

Thanks! I was not aware that parts were readily available and not break the bank expensive for the US Divers reg. that's why I was leaning towards the Sherwood.

Just wanted to post an update. I paid $60 for the US Divers Conshelf with gauges, had it serviced for $80, the LDS that serviced it, isn't my regular shop and they gave me a little grief for "buying used" so I won't be buying anything from them in the future, but I dove the reg on Sunday and it worked great!

I'm saving up for something newer, but I feel good about what I paid to see me through until then. I have more confidence in this reg than some of the rentals I've been using, one of which would have made me miss a dive if it wasn't for a buddy with a backup.

No regrets.

Thanks for all the advice.

-Faith

Just a thought Faith, just because something is new does not make it better, there is no better first stage on the market today than the old Conshelf you have...maybe one with better hose routing but not functionally- there is a reason it has been in service since 1964 and the basic internal design is still used today in AL regs. The Legends are nothing but Conshelf with the internals rearranged some. Reguardless of what some will tell you, 99% of the performance of a reg is in the second stage so changing a first stage buys you nothing. If anything, consider upgrading your second stage and keeping the Conshelf first.

Thanks, I will look into that. I can say that in the short time I've been a member here, Scubaboard has certainly provided a lot of food for thought.

Can you tell me if I will meet with resistance from my LDS about putting together a set up like that? Or is it fairly common to ask for reg setup modifications? The shop I prefer for training also sells Aqua Lung, I trust them, but they're a DIR shop, which I don't mind, but isn't necessarily the route for me. I'm still hemming and hawing over the hose length. They are really pushing 7ft. I used that set up in my buoyancy classes and it seems like a lot to manage right now for me and I don't own a BC that would allow for tucking in the waist.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom