What Questions Should I Ask Before Purchase: Used Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would make the same suggestion as Herman.
Putting a balanced 2nd stage on your existing 1st is the only significant upgrade you can make.
If you want to keep it all AquaLung then the LX or Legend second stage is the way to go......an Apeks second is another option......all 3 are an Apeks design and use the same service kit. AquaLung and Apeks are under the same parent company so most AquaLung dealers are also Apeks as well.
(all balanced second stages no matter if they're Apeks, AquaLung, HOG, Zeagle, Atomic or Scubapro will be indistinguishable in how they breathe)

As for the dealer, obviously they will prefer to sell you a brand new complete regulator but as long as they aren't actually giving you bad advice or false information they should be satisfied with fulfilling your service and training needs.
.....and no, it's not that uncommon to have a mixture of brands and ages of accessories on a 1st stage.

Agreed, any of those would do fine. If the shop gives you grief, it's either out of ignorance or a sales motive, either of which is reason to find a new shop. A used Legend or Titan LX (same second stage- different face plate) would do nicely. The old Conshelf would make a great Octo.

As to the 7 ft hose, they need to re read their DIR books and stop pushing stuff just because. JJ himself said a 5 ft is fine unless you are in overhead enviroments. It's the biggest issue I have with a lot of DIR folks, they insist on taking an elephant gun squirrel hunting. There is simply no need for the extra hose length, esp for a shorter person in rec diving. At times I dive a 5ft (I was DIR trained before most on this board even heard of it but choose not to follow it). It (5ft) works fine for OW conditions with no need to tuck anything in. Tight overhead conditions (caves) where divers must travel in single file while sharing air is where the 7ft was intended to be used. In any case, it's your gear, do not let anyone but yourself determine what is right for you.

My advice on a reg would be useless, compared with Herman's :shakehead:

As for hose length, I personally like the 7', but i am far from tiny (or thin. :( ). 5' would certainly do the same job on a smaller person, especially if confined space diving is not involved.

I am only 5'1". Not the skinniest person, but not rotund either. With my BC, I honestly don't know where I'd put the extra length. I am much more agreeable to a 5' hose option, but the LDS wasn't that keen on it, said there would be too much slack and not enough to tuck. I have zero interest in cave diving or even going inside a wreck, so it's not like I need to suit up for that. I might just need to talk to someone else at the shop about it.

Although a regular BC can be used a BP&W makes it easier to deal with a long hose.
It's something that really needs to be tried rather than explained.

A 7' hose with a jacket BC will result in a big fat fail. Don't do it.

However, a 40'' hose with a ~110 degree adapter works pretty well. One of these things XS Scuba 110 Degree Adapter

NOT a swivel.

Add that thingamajig to a 40'' hose, and put your backup on a short hose with a bungee, and you're in business.

Its a step down from from a proper 7' hose and a backplate/wing (first choice, but I get the reality of not having a bp/w yet), less sloppy than a 5' hose (esp on a small framed person), and leaps and bounds ahead of the standard-issue octo setup from OW class.

As to the 7 ft hose, they need to re read their DIR books and stop pushing stuff just because. JJ himself said a 5 ft is fine unless you are in overhead enviroments. It's the biggest issue I have with a lot of DIR folks, they insist on taking an elephant gun squirrel hunting. There is simply no need for the extra hose length, esp for a shorter person in rec diving.

I was telling the likes of MHK and Jammer6 where to shove it 10+ years ago. That said, I choose to dive a 7' hose now. It works for me and I'm sure a 5' hose would work also. I don't like anyone pushing their agenda and that goes for DIR zealots or my LDS thinking everyone should be diving Air2's and air integrated computers just to eliminate 2 hoses.

Faith has a great reg. Upgrade the 2nd stage if you want and seriously consider a BP/W. They are the cats meow IMO. :)

Personally if they are 25 years old, i would pass on them; unless they were Scubapro. Now days you can get brand new regs on clearance, for almost the same price as used regs.

One person to call on if they have a sale going on, or clearance regs (last years stock) is Beaver Divers.

.....jumping in a bit late there CB, the birds have already left the gate open.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom