What pad do you use for gearing up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Compressor

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Wondering what ground pad do you use for gearing up and probably even more importantly when taking gear off? Getting all the sand/soil and other crap on the gear after a dive is just something that I think can be best prevented.

Currently I use one of the moving blankets.
I've seen other use tarps.
Now I've see stuff from DGEx and similarly DRIS.

Thanks for your time.

Things I have used:
Bed of my truck
Tarp
Dive mat
Dry suit bag
Artificial turf
Snow bank
Paved parking lot

I’ve gotten several thrown in with purchases from DRIS. Heck, I’ve even used a big beach towel if the ground wasn’t wet.

Dan.jpg

Two 8.5" tall 10 gal rubbermaid roughneck tubs slid under the car rear!!!

I think its the 10 gal. Its 21.5 X 15 X 8.5. One for me and one for buddy. Works for initial small stuff, a single AL80 backmount, or 2x tiny side mount, then the trunk has more tubs as well. I've been using a towel for the final suit don/dof steps. I've read bamboo/reed mats are good. Sometimes I bring a camp shower bladder to hose off last sand/rinse gear.

In addition to a pad, a garden pump sprayer like the one depicted below work great to clean sand off booties and gear after a dive:

gardena-pressure-sprayer-capacity-50-liter.jpg

-Z

I always just use the lid to my big rubbermaid gear tote to stand on while gearing up. Works great to protect my drysuit booties while getting my rockboots on. I always have it on my tote anyway so no need to bring an extra mat. One less extra thing I have to remember to take.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom