What not to buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alot of great input here. So far, this is my current mentality on what I'm looking for. I don't think I want AI, I just believe I'll trust the analog guages better. Plus, in the event of catastrophic electronic/battery failure, the guages still work. I also don't think I want the wireless transmitter type for the same reason, one more thing to go wrong. I do like the idea of a large display that has all the info without having to toggle screens. It also must be Nitrox capable. And I like the idea of wrist mount. I'm slowly narrowing down the options. Thanks for all the input.
David

surfsidedav:
So to simplify things, I hope, could I get some input on what brand NOT to buy, or features that are useless to stay away from

I'm not one to really put down a particular brand of something, but there is one feature that after diving a Suunto, I can say I honestly don't care for.

I don't like graphs on dive computers, especially smaller computers. I think they are difficult to read and subsequently require more focus to obtain the required information than should be neccessary.

Other features I don't like, include:

- Auto Mix Reset. This usually occurs after a given surface interval.
- Antiquated downloading capabilities such as the Memo Mouse (ScubaPro/UWATEC) or any other physical proprietary connection.
- Having to use a PC to put the computer into gauge mode.
- Dive Computers without gauge mode
- AI Computers that will not allow you to configure your reserve pressure.
- Limited alert configurations.
- Dive Computers on consoles
- Little or no onboard (on Dive Computer) conservativeness settings.

Remember this is my opinion and nothing more...

surfsidedav:
Alot of great input here. So far, this is my current mentality on what I'm looking for. I don't think I want AI, I just believe I'll trust the analog guages better. Plus, in the event of catastrophic electronic/battery failure, the guages still work. I also don't think I want the wireless transmitter type for the same reason, one more thing to go wrong. I do like the idea of a large display that has all the info without having to toggle screens. It also must be Nitrox capable. And I like the idea of wrist mount. I'm slowly narrowing down the options. Thanks for all the input.
David

FWIW, if you want an SPG, you might be better off with a digital than mechanical (or even better, carry a spare).

They both have failure modes, however it's usually pretty obvious when a digital device dies, however an analog gauge can stick (in either direction) and read low when the pressure is higher, and high when the pressure is low (or 0). They're also not accurate across their entire range and can be off by a couple of hundred pounds at either end of the scale.

Terry

surfsidedav:
David

Mechanical gauges also fail and can stick. AI computers give you quite a few extras to consider. They do a lot of calculations that may not be required to dive, but are nice to have.

All tools mechanical and electronic have to be calibrated. It sounds like one of the two computers were out of calibration or possibly they were both off. Either way, the Uwatec is recalibrated and battery replaced for free under warranty (I'm sure the LDS will have some charges, but it is still nice)

BUT if you feel better with a Mechanical you will be in good company. I believe a lot of good divers use only a mechanical gauge.

Guys and Gals,

Let me go back to the original thread: "What [computer] not to buy". First of all, there are only a few actual manufacturers of scuba computers. For instance, DiveRite Duo, Apeks Quantum & Tusa IQ-700 are absolutely identical computers manufactured by Seiko.

Before choosing a computer you should know what is your diving profile now and what is your plan for next 1-3 year.

To narrow your choices you should decide for yourself:
1) Would you prefer to have a wrist computer or console mounted one?
2) Do you want to have an air integrated computer or not?
3) Do you need a hoseless computer?
4) Do you need large buttons to easy operate while wearing thick gloves?
5) Do you plan to advance to tech diving? Do you want to have one computer for rec and tech diving?
6) Do you mind bringing a computer to the authorized dealer to replace a battery?
7) What is your budget limit?
Your choices probably narrowed to 1-2 models after answering all questions listed above.

You should purchase a computer to meet your needs, not otherwise :wink:

Dive safe.
-Gary

P.S. I personally use new Tusa IQ-800 for recreational diving (reasons: design, big screen w/easy to read numbers, vibration alarm similar to cellphone), and DiverRite NiTek Plus for deco diving with doubles (reasons: proved records, simplicity to operate).

Responding to the original question:

AI or separate SPG: I wouldn't put out the additional expense for air integration unless you are certain you actually want it, and are prepared to deal with the downside. In case of failure, you not only lose your profile info, but you lose your SPG as well. Happened to my wife on our last trip - cost $150 for her to rent a computer and reg for the rest of the week.

Size is a factor: Some divers (with good eyes :wink: ) like the new small computers, I love the easy reading on my Versa Pro.

Wrist or Console: I used to have a console USD Monitor 2), now my Oceanic Versa Pro is wrist mounted. Both work well, although the new (wrist) one is easier to take back to the room to log my day's dives. IMO, personal preference issue.

Display Information: Like an earlier poster, I like the options that I get with the Versa Pro. 4 UW displays, each slightly different. The one I use shows Dive Time, NDL, Current Depth, Max Depth, Tissue loading and ascent graphs. All info is easy to read. Displays are easy to access underwater, but not so easy as to be changed by accident.

Another consideration is how it is activated. Both computers I've owned have been both surface (manual) or water activated, a good feature to look for. There are some computers that MUST be activated manually on the surface before you start your descent. If you try to turn it on more than about 4 feet underwater, the computer will lock out and you won't be able to use it for a prescribed length of time. I'm not sure of the specifics, as I've never owned one, but I have been on a boat with a diver who had this problem and she missed the first dive because of it.

Algorithm: I've had a very conservative one (Monitor) and now a rather liberal one. Don't see much difference in how I dive, as I never make a habit of pushing the NDL anyway. It is another thing to consider however.

I wasn't thrilled with my LDS purchase (02/23/05). It looked used and wasn't working right, they exchanged it for the only other one they had, the display (02/25/05). It quit within 6 dives. LDS gave me quite a run around. (No one here knows anything about them, we'll have Oceanic call you on Monday. By Tuesday with no call, I called back and they now say, I gotta call Oceanic. I call Oceanic and they tell me I need to deal with my LDS, they know everything about it. I call my LDS who wants use it for a while and they'd get back to me.) I was frustrated and called Oceanic back, related the events. I was offered a loaner and wait 5 days for the upgraded model. I chose to forego the loaner because I thought a timeout from my LDS would be good, besides it seemed a lot of hassle for everyone concerned for such a short time without diving. My ATOM was replaced with with the current model, shipped 3/16/05 with additional things that weren't in the first 2 packages. I was very impressed with Oceanic's understanding and resolution of my problem. I chose the ATOM because of size (I'm female 5'4"). I was leaning toward a Sunto but the feel of a laptop on my wrist was daunting. I worried about seeing the display (50 years and wearing bifocals) but no problem. (I wear 1 contact for distance in the eye more near vision compromised.) I worried the buttons were hard to manuver thru but again no problem, just get the hang of 'em like any other wiget watches I have. I wanted a transmitter because I want as little 'stuff' dangling around and have the Atomic SS1 alternate mate to the Atomic B2 - 2 hoses (love the swivel). Also the Ocean Quest Diva so no sternum strap to choke me and all those pockets for stuff I want to have with me and not snagging in the lava .
cmalinowski:
wow, great post. I wish I would have looked at it this way. I have two computers: oceanic Atam 1.0 and an oceanict dataTransPlus. I use these for their air intigrated tech and the fact that one (DT+) is a nice backup for the atom.

If I had to do it all over again, I would probably buy a suunto air integrated if I didn't already have a backup. I say that ONLY because suunto has a more conservative algorithm. If I was not overweight and more-or-less a rooky in diving, I would probably stick with oceanic. I am working on figuring out who has the best customer support. Nobody ever talks about suunto cust support. I always find that oceanic gets a bad rap because they didn't provide their up-to-this-point exceptional service. I hear they have a new pres/ceo. I just sent my DT+ in for service and can't really let you know until i get it back, but I am sure that it will be fine.

edit: I love the fact that I have user-replaceable batteries. I don't know what it is like without it, so someone else can chime in...

The software is free, visit Suunto's website and download the latest version of the Dive Manager software. I run it with MS Windows XP without any problems.

The serial inteface cable can be obtained cheaply from DIY enthusiasts. I obtained mine by mail order from doing a Google search. There are several sellers listed so choose one you like.

I'm trying to take everyones advice and run it thru the mill to get the perfect computer. Well, it aint happening. If there was a perfect computer, then everyone would have that model and there would be nothing left to talk about. But I'm narrowing down the options. First choice, I'm sticking with the analog SPG I already have, mainly because I like looking at it to see how much air is left, as opposed to getting a digital reading. That and the fact I've already bought it. So then I get the bright idea to have an AI wireless, that way I've got backup info. But the only thing I can tell that that does is provide back up for the analog SPG. So ruling out paranoid redundancy, I'll leave out AI and just have my gauge tested occassionally. I'm also ruling out the watch sized computers just for ease of reading. I've spent more time and effort picking out this computer than I did all my other gear combined.

I have a Uwatec Smart Pro wrist mounted. No A.I. I like it. Can do the microbubble stuff but I haven't screwed with it yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom