What not to buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This last post sounds like good advice to me...

I had the Oceanic VT Pro and was generally satisfied. The transmitter worked fine for me. Now I have the Atom, which has had a battery issue and then now a backlight issue, though it will be replaced w/o issue.

In all, I think the Suunto are the nicest units out there. A bit pricey, but just nice. All to do over again, I'd spring for the D9...

JAG

Diver0001:
I wouldn't personally buy a Dacor at the moment. Nothing against Dacor but Mares (who owns Dacor) is up to something and I keep hearing rumours that Dacor´s days are numbered.
Actually, the Mares M1 is a real pain. The buttons are junk, almost impossible to push underwater (I've actually used a rock to push on the light at night), and Mares won't do anything about it, and knows about it. Also, from what I've read, you need a PHD in programing in Code to get the Iris Interface to work. Too bad, 'cause everything else (incl. that it's RGBM) is great about it.

diverbrian:
The only thing that I have toggled for is when I get interested in checking the water temp or want to change mixes because I am ascending and switching off to my EAN50.

LOL. I think I spend a lot more time looking at the water temp than my mix...If it's cold enough I might even spend more time looking at temp than pressure.... :D

Hey, Brian, did you do IANTD? I don't have a nitrox computer at the moment but the shop sells the Vytec and I can pick one up for next to nothing. I don't mind bending my computer but it has a little heart attack before it violates and all that beeping and flashing is a little distracting (it's much more docile on the 2nd dive :)). Anyway I'm kind of torn between paying for a VR3 or picking up a Vytec in exchange for DM-ing and I was wondering if the Vytec does ok with the v-planner and/or IANTD schedules or does it force big deviations in your ascent? ..... It's hard to get a straight answer about this because Suuntos aren't really popular in tek circles but what I've heard is that the ascents are quite different and a lot slower than what you get with a VR3. What's your experience? Is there a certain conservativeness factor you can set to make it more or less correspond to the IANTD tables?

R..

My first and current computer is a Suunto Mosquito. For the money, I think its about the best around. The Nitrox setting automatically reverts to 21%. The only drawback is its not AI. Apart from that, it has all the features you could want.

FWIW, I do love my Cobra, but these old eyes have a hard time reading the numbers at depth. :D I could go for bigger numbers on my next computer.

NetDoc:
FWIW, I do love my Cobra, but these old eyes have a hard time reading the numbers at depth. :D I could go for bigger numbers on my next computer.

They don't sell computers with laptop screens :)

What they *do* sell, though, are masks with glasses.....

R..

Rick Inman:
Actually, the Mares M1 is a real pain. The buttons are junk, almost impossible to push underwater (I've actually used a rock to push on the light at night), and Mares won't do anything about it, and knows about it. Also, from what I've read, you need a PHD in programing in Code to get the Iris Interface to work. Too bad, 'cause everything else (incl. that it's RGBM) is great about it.

Yeah..... You know, it makes me wonder, when they put that kind of quality into the housing there's a little voice inside me wondering what kind of ugly hacks they have in their software.....

R..

jbb:
I am considering the Uwatec Smart Tec or Suunto Vytec. I have heard some discouraging information on the Uwatec's - seems some people don't get very good air pressure readings from the wireless sensor. How is yours working. Can you make all of the changes on the wrist computer without going to a laptop or desktop? I like the fact that Uwatec sells you everything with the unit (computer download log).,is slightly less conservative than the Vytec and everything is on one screen - no toggling.

thanks
jason

No problems with the wireless sensor so far, but only have a few dives on this computer. It does take a while to come up and lock when you first activate it when setting up your equipment.

It does require the laptop to adjust some limits to your liking. The only one that I remember I wanted to change from default was the nitrox limit from 1.4 to 1.6, but haven't changed it yet.

I've heard that it is more conservative then the Aeris and less then the suunto, but it has 5 levels of micro bubble adjustment if you want it more conservative. It also monitors your altitude, so if you finish a dive and try to drive over a mountain it will warn you not to exceed a certain height. Not an issue in Texas where I am from, but for the people who cross mountains on the way to a dive, it might be nice to have the computer verify it is okay to cross back over the mountain range.

All that said, it is a bit pricey. I think the additional pressure sensors are $200-$300 each.

I am doing my next dive on April 2nd. I will be glad to attempt to break the connection between the computer and sensor by moving it around and making the signal pass through my body (i.e., no line of sight), but with my hand by my side or when I was looking at it, I never had a problem with it disconnecting.

Diver0001:
LOL. I think I spend a lot more time looking at the water temp than my mix...If it's cold enough I might even spend more time looking at temp than pressure.... :D

Hey, Brian, did you do IANTD? I don't have a nitrox computer at the moment but the shop sells the Vytec and I can pick one up for next to nothing. I don't mind bending my computer but it has a little heart attack before it violates and all that beeping and flashing is a little distracting (it's much more docile on the 2nd dive :)). Anyway I'm kind of torn between paying for a VR3 or picking up a Vytec in exchange for DM-ing and I was wondering if the Vytec does ok with the v-planner and/or IANTD schedules or does it force big deviations in your ascent? ..... It's hard to get a straight answer about this because Suuntos aren't really popular in tek circles but what I've heard is that the ascents are quite different and a lot slower than what you get with a VR3. What's your experience? Is there a certain conservativeness factor you can set to make it more or less correspond to the IANTD tables?

R..

When I did my Advanced Nitrox, it was a little more conservative than IANTD tables, but not too bad (maybe a minute or so on a dive to 120 ft. for 20 minutes on the last stop).

I am buying the VR3 now for one reason only. That is because I will be diving mix by the end of next month. I am told that the VR3 corresponds with the IANTD decompression schedules almost exactly. I should be picking up my VR3 on Friday.

Otherwise, I would have stayed with my VyTec. The only catch the VyTec doesn't indicate deep stops (although it does give you credit for them if you do them as you write down on your slate :) ). Suunto must assume that if you are doing deep stops that you know enough to plan them first and not just "dive the computer" without thinking about it. The VR3 will indicate the deep stops as well.

If you won't be diving mix, I would say that the VyTec (especially for the price that you are talking about :) ) is a great option.

NetDoc:

I just switched from the Vyper to the Oceanic Versa Pro for this exact reason! It's a b**tch growing old.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom