What Next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@TMHeimer @Marie13

I'm impressed that you both had to exit a wreck in silt out conditions sharing gas. That really is the bare minimum for a proper wreck course in my opinion.

The one problem with the idea of staying within the light zone is that in a silt out, that light zone not longer is.

@TMHeimer @Marie13

I'm impressed that you both had to exit a wreck in silt out conditions sharing gas. That really is the bare minimum for a proper wreck course in my opinion.

The one problem with the idea of staying within the light zone is that in a silt out, that light zone not longer is.

See, not all recreational wreck classes are worthless wastes of time.

See, not all recreational wreck classes are worthless wastes of time. I’m looking forward to getting into the cargo hold of the Regina in lower Lake Huron this summer with a buddy (also cave trained). Just a big cargo hold. No squeezy stuff.
Sure, not all. Agencies like SDI allow instructors to augment courses. Here is the base standards: https://www.tdisdi.com/wp-content/u.../SDI/part 3/pdf/individual/29_Wreck_Diver.pdf

Your instructor went way above that. And that's awesome. Your experience percentage wise isn't shared by many. Lots of people get PADI wreck certs without even going inside a wreck.

See, not all recreational wreck classes are worthless wastes of time.
Just out of curiosity, how difficult was it to get the hang of sharing gas single file?

Sure, not all. Agencies like SDI allow instructors to augment courses. Here is the base standards: https://www.tdisdi.com/wp-content/uploads/files/sandp/currentYear/SDI/part 3/pdf/individual/29_Wreck_Diver.pdf

Your instructor went way above that. And that's awesome. Your experience percentage wise isn't shared by many. Lots of people get PADI wreck certs without even going inside a wreck.
Yeah I could never understand why the penetration was (is still?) optional with PADI. I mean, I could dive outside wrecks (and did often back then) without having taken the course. Uhh... wear gloves, don't go under something that may fall on you (never saw that), REMEBER WHERE THE ANCHOR LINE IS. End of course.

Not sure about it being so hard to correct problems you've have after doing this or that wrong for a year. As Centrals says in the above post (I quoted), diving isn't technically that hard.
But, I admit many disagree with me. I've been told by several instructors that if someone is taught to clear the mask kneeling they will always look for a spot to kneel to do it. I believe them because they've seen it. I still find it curious.

For me it was extremely hard to learn neutral buoyancy and horizontal trim during fundies, after having learned on my knees. Not to speak about the vertical uncontrolled displacement when I had to clear the mask. It took me 90 dives to get a tec-pass...

Maybe it's just personal:)

For me it was extremely hard to learn neutral buoyancy and horizontal trim during fundies, after having learned on my knees. Not to speak about the vertical uncontrolled displacement when I had to clear the mask. It took me 90 dives to get a tec-pass...

Some passed the driving test first time while others require several. Nothing to indicate if they are bad/good driver.

Yeah, and that’s compounded when sharing gas with someone in front of you. I’d like to try this in the open water. There is a cave instructor in my area that I can work with. I don’t expect it to be easy, so curious about other people’s experience. I hope the two who had good wreck courses will chime in.

Some passed the driving test first time while others require several. Nothing to indicate if they are bad/good driver.

Agree :)

Yeah, and that’s compounded when sharing gas with someone in front of you. I’d like to try this in the open water. There is a cave instructor in my area that I can work with. I don’t expect it to be easy, so curious about other people’s experience. I hope the two who had good wreck courses will chime in.

Well, here's my experience :) I got a provisional after fundies, and then I managed to get only a rec pass (as you understood from my previous comment, it took some 40 dives). At that point, the most complicated thing for me was the ascent.

EDIT:[for a rec pass, you must be able to do a safe ascent, which I was able to do; but it was far from beng perfect and effortless, purging the dry-suit was complicated]

Once that I managed to control the ascent well, actually gas sharing with SMB deployment was not super-hard.

In other words, very solid basic skills first -> the rest comes easily

NOTE: now I have to check if I didn't lose my skills, after so much time dry

You might find the 7' hose not long enough!!!! And in a tight passage you better hold on to your mask!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom