Diving beyond cert?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's an update, as I've mainly been sitting back with my popcorn watching people seethe at this point.

Went on the dive(s), had a great time, no problems, everyone lived :)
Dead people don't know when they are dead. :oops: :p :wink:

Here's an update, as I've mainly been sitting back with my popcorn watching people seethe at this point.

Went on the dive(s), had a great time, no problems, everyone lived :)

LOLZ Thanks I got a chuckle from your reply.
How you survived this traumatic deeper dive without panicking and dying is a mystery to all the naysayers.

DAN Insurance and what is means. Many here have claimed that DAN insurance and other insurance companies only cover divers to the certified depth. Just to reconfirm I emailed DAN yesterday. This is the reply.

Thank you for contacting DAN WORLD.

Please note that they are no depth restrictions with any of our assistance packages, however divers are encouraged and should dive within the depth, training, and breathing gas requirements of their qualification, as it is safe diving practice to do so, and that is what DAN advocates.

ELIGIBILITY Individuals who either: (a) hold a diver certification issued by a recognized training agency, or (b) are in the process of obtaining his/her diver certification and are under the supervision of and diving with a qualified diving instructor affiliated with a recognized training agency. Diving includes all forms of recreational and non-commercial diving such as snorkelling, skin diving, free diving, , and SCUBA (self-Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus) diving.

Good reason not to … insurance may not cover you if something happens and you dove beyond your cert level

Please note that they are no depth restrictions with any of our assistance packages, however divers are encouraged and should dive within the depth, training, and breathing gas requirements of their qualification, as it is safe diving practice to do so, and that is what DAN advocates.

One thing is inadvertently going beyond cert, the other is intentionally doing so. Some countries it is forbidden by law, others it is just the training agencies standards. In some countries it can be a nightmare if something happens and needs to be solved in court or with insurance companies...

Now, I am neither a lawyer nor have I read all agencies' standards, but I am pretty confident none will tell you it is ok or encourage you to do so.

Thanks, I will let my brother know he's okay to go to the wreck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom