What Next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps the ones you are teaching are but not the ones I took and teach.
I have done PADI wreck and IANTD Tec Wreck. Different as day and night.
All diving courses have standards set by the agency. Period.
No instructor is allowed to teach anything not in the standard. No more or less.

Wreck courses belong in technical diving. The performance requirements are a joke. Now if an instructor teaches under an agency that allows them to augment the course with appropriate skills/requirements, then yes, I agree.
Don't disagree. But the course I took in 2007 did have basic penetration. Reel use, tying off as you go, line traps, etc. and I guess what are the usual rules for emergencies, silt outs, getting back out properly, turning properly, etc.
I'll probably never do any penetration, but wonder what is missing that makes it a joke?

Assessing the wreck for hazards, drawing the entry point to assess on the boat, reel skills and line laying were in my wreck class, among other skills. To this day I won’t penetrate a wreck until after I’ve had at least one dive on her.
Did you do lost line drills? Deal with silt outs? OOG drills? Sharing gas to exit the wreck?

I won't penetrate a real wreck (as opposed to artificial reef) until I've had advanced training. I know there are things that I don't know that could bite me inside a wreck.

Don't disagree. But the course I took in 2007 did have basic penetration. Reel use, tying off as you go, line traps, etc. and I guess what are the usual rules for emergencies, silt outs, getting back out properly, turning properly, etc.
I'll probably never do any penetration, but wonder what is missing that makes it a joke?

Mine was very similar to yours. Mine was SDI.

Did you do lost line drills? Deal with silt outs? OOG drills? Sharing gas to exit the wreck?

I won't penetrate a real wreck (as opposed to artificial reef) until I've had advanced training. I know there are things that I don't know that could bite me inside a wreck.

Yes, on the silt outs and line drills. I think the OOG was included, but I’m not sure. Actually was surprised how much of it I remembered when I did cavern/intro to cave in November. Some of the wrecks here have okay swim throughs for limited penetration.

wonder what is missing that makes it a joke?

As I asked Marie about. Lost line drills, OOG emergencies, silt outs, in other words: worst case scenarios.

As I asked Marie about. Lost line drills, OOG emergencies, silt outs, in other words: worst case scenarios.
NOT part of the standard!
That was the worst part of the course and I did that at night! Still remember that dive 21 yrs later.

Yes, pretty much the same as Marie from what I remember from '07. Not sure about lost line drills. Like you, I would not penetrate anything until I got advanced training in this. We did a fair bit of OOA/pony bottle use for self, buddy, but that was done outside the wreck.

I guess it depends on what you call penetration. Still within the light zone or not?

Yes, pretty much the same as Marie from what I remember from '07. Not sure about lost line drills. Like you, I would not penetrate anything until I got advanced training in this. We did a fair bit of OOA/pony bottle use for self, buddy, but that was done outside the wreck.
Try to do that inside a wreck with no light and you will notice the difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom