what muscles to exercise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pink_fins

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I posted this in the women's forum but no luck there. Maybe here :

I am 66 have arthritis and still want to dive. I have been going to our gym (3 times a week) doing machines, arms, back, legs etc. on a rotation basis during the week and then 15-20 min on the treadmill each time.

I am looking for some routine that would help with getting on boat. Pulling myself up on the ladder.

I have solved my problem with the quick release clips on my fins by using the fore arm gipper machine ( up to 7 lbs now ;-) ) so that is not a problem

any ideas?

I live in Northern WI so no diving till going to CCV in May and sure I can do shore dives. But boat dives are fun too
thanks
gail

Sorry. A little off topic. Just to check. Is climbing the ladder without the equipment a problem?

My understanding of arthritis is a loss of cartilage and/or loss of synovial fluid in the joints, resulting in bone to bone contact when flexing the joint which causes pain and inflammation. The more you use the joint, either through exercise or daily activities, the more you aggravate the issue. The gym sessions may help with flexibility, and strengthening the muscles, but you are not helping your arthritic joints. I am not a doc, but I am 1 week post op shoulder surgery and this is how it was explained to me by the top shoulder cutter in the twin cities. Inflammation is the enemy, regardless if it is caused by overuse, diet, or general physical health. I was told to quit anything that results in overuse, waterskiing, snowskiing, snowmobiling, lawnwork, hammering/prying/wrenching, etc. He told me "to try to accept the fact that I am old enough to be a grandparent" and "take solace in a life that included all those activities and more." To which I responded BS, I'm not done yet, in fact, I'm just getting going. He said just take it slow and learn your limitations so you don't keep re injuring yourself. Best part is I got out of snow shoveling duty this entire winter. Good luck. P.S. Doff your BC in the water and climb the ladder without it.

I too would say I'm not done yet. (there is always a different way to do something LOL) And I do take my bc off in the water.

I am finding I can lift different weights on different days. I don't push it even if the trainer says it has to hurt. Bull**** to that statement. Thinking it is for the young.

My goal is just to be the strongest I can be at my age.

Lionfish-eater: thanks for the comments. I have to wonder why there is no real arthritis anti-inflammation meds out there that work . I have tried most of them. A good attitude is helpfull and maybe the cool water in our local pool.

The inflammation only aggravates the real problem, which is that the cartilage is worn away. The bones rub directly on each other without a cushion in between. There is no artificial replacement for cartilage at this time. When the joint ultimately fails completely, the solution is an artificial joint. Working out until it hurts is for younger, healthier joints that are not arthritic. There is a fine line between working out to improve your cardio, and stressing worn out joints. A fitness workout for someone with arthritis (worn out joints), is different than a workout for a younger person. I'm thinking more stretching than lifting for example. If there is a pool workout that would be a good choice.

When archaeologists dig up ancient civilizations, they can distinguish the bones of the peasant workers from those of royalty, by how worn the bones are at the joints. All things being equal, joints are like any other moving part that wears out based on amount of use and age. Runners may be doing more damage to their joints then the benefit they get from the cardio workout.

I posted this in the women's forum but no luck there. Maybe here :

I am 66 have arthritis and still want to dive. I have been going to our gym (3 times a week) doing machines, arms, back, legs etc. on a rotation basis during the week and then 15-20 min on the treadmill each time.

I am looking for some routine that would help with getting on boat. Pulling myself up on the ladder.

I have solved my problem with the quick release clips on my fins by using the fore arm gipper machine ( up to 7 lbs now ;-) ) so that is not a problem

any ideas?

I live in Northern WI so no diving till going to CCV in May and sure I can do shore dives. But boat dives are fun too
thanks
gail

Invest in some spring straps and you will wonder why you took so long. Seriously.

I've got a couple of years on you, pink_fins! Also some OA, meniscus tears in both knees, tennis elbow, etc. I guess it goes with the territory.

I work out in the gym 3/week with a Fit for Life Class and 20 minutes hard on a bike. Some cardio, strength, core. Other days I do laps in the pool. When I am in the pool, I do 30 pull-up on the side of the pool every few laps. I have weights and a ball in my living room for those times when I want to watch the news. When I do weights, I keep them to 6 lbs and do more reps. I have found that keeping a strong core is very important to keeping fit for diving. I do lots of abs, planks, and pilates-style exercises. No impact exercises at all.

Getting back on the boat can be a problem, depending on the type of ladder/boat and how much the ladder is moving. I can get my fins off OK. I usually am one of the last on the boat so I can take my time. I hate being in a line with a bunch of other divers all fighting to get back on the boat. I tell the helpers on the boat that I would really appreciate a tug up when the tank comes out of the water. How easy it is depends on which leg I have to push up with. Sometimes I take my BC off in the water, but that's hard to do when there is a lot of current. It would be nice to have a skyhook/crane that would just pick me up out of the water and put me back where I belong!

When we were in Utilla, they had a wonderful boat/ladder that was custom-made. It was with steps with a railing. All you had to do was walk up the steps (which extended into the water) , turn around, sit down, take off fins.

Enjoy CCV! We're going to Belize next month!

I'm almost 60 and am full of a arthritis grade 4 in my knees. I've found spinning (stationary bikes) both regular and recumbent helps me a lot.

I just keep cranking up the resistance as it get easier with time. I lift light weights every other day also.

There are two main types of exercises, push and pull. Push exercises will compress joints and pull exercises will do the opposite. You can perform "lat pulldowns" which will help you climb ladders. You can avoid join compression IF done right. In other words, use your back muscles to pull and now your peripheral joints (elbows/arms).

If you're comfortable with doing so, remove your BC before getting back on the boat and ask your handlers to give you a hand with equipment.

I was going to suggest sidemount since I think it's easier to don and doff tanks in the water, but I'm not sure if your hand can handle the stress of dealing with the bolt snaps.

Edit: I realize the above is off-topic. My suggestion is swimming. It's zero impact and the pulling muscles will definitely help with ladder work.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom