What Most Irritates Female Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only thing that annoys me is when I'm told that I can't go on a boat cause of the "no women allowed" stereotyped male statement. I've only heard it once, but geez, it certainly ticked me off....lack of amenities on a boat don't bother me...all I need is a 10 second warning to avert my gaze in the opposite direction - lol! :) Then again, I do live in a warm weather climate and mostly warm water (Florida)....I have NO IDEA how you guys deal without amenities up north in the cold water! :)

TropicalDiver:
The only thing that annoys me is when I'm told that I can't go on a boat cause of the "no women allowed" stereotyped male statement. I've only heard it once, but geez, it certainly ticked me off....lack of amenities on a boat don't bother me...all I need is a 10 second warning to avert my gaze in the opposite direction - lol! :) Then again, I do live in a warm weather climate and mostly warm water (Florida)....I have NO IDEA how you guys deal without amenities up north in the cold water! :)

Those of us lucky to live in not-TOO-cold water can pee in our wetsuits. :) One of the main reasons hubby and I keep putting off considering drysuits...

Provided someone will unzip your drysuit for you its not a problem on small boats even in northerly climates. Just dont fall overboard whilst doing it - it has happened to people :)

Peeing in your wetsuit is just plain nasty. I know people that say that they are able to just rinse it out, but that smell lingers in the suit. I force myself to go before pulling on the wetsuit.

gx220:
Peeing in your wetsuit is just plain nasty. I know people that say that they are able to just rinse it out, but that smell lingers in the suit. I force myself to go before pulling on the wetsuit.

I am a guy and if you have to go...you have to go. When underwater...it goes into the wetsuit. If the water temperature is warm enough...you can unzip the wetsuit partially and to let some fresh water in...it helps. The other thing...when you get home...you can rinse and wash your wetsuit with some fresh water and a wet suit shampoo...that takes care of any odor.

Just my 02

H2Andy:
Worst topic, ever.

why don't you tell us how you really feel? :wink:

actually, doing number 2 in the water would probably be
the worst topic ever...

Is this the appropriate place to mention the Warhammer Maneuver? :wink:

Scubaguy62:
If on the bus I see a senior, male or female, who is standing, I will give him/her my seat. If on the same bus I saw a pregnant lady, I'd give her my seat, and if I was to see a 26 yr old, I'd also give her my seat. The best way to not feel auckward is to just say "thanks."

On a serious note, I'll have to say that the group I dive with is pretty supportive of each other, regardless of gender. I've helped and been helped by most of the other divers of both genders. I've offered seats, shady spots and after dive beers/gatorades to most of the other divers and received the same from them.

I guess we're lucky - we don't have any real macho guys or politically correct women diving with us, and I've noticed that when one or the other sometimes shows up, they usually don't fit in too well with us and end up drifting toward their own kind. And we're not shy about being a bit off-color at times, but we try not to go too far until we know everybody's boundries.

Like the folks have said above, it's all about respect for each other. I feel pretty lucky to be able to dive with the Florida Conchs so often, and hope that many of you get a chance to join us some time.

-Grier

GrierHPharmD:
Is this the appropriate place to mention the Warhammer Maneuver? :wink:

There is NEVER an appropriate place to mention the warhammer maneuver.

Those who know wish they could forget, those who dont know should heed the warning (but probably wont and will live to regret it)

just echoing cancun mark's comments.

Mike

cancun mark:
There is NEVER an appropriate place to mention the warhammer maneuver.

Those who know wish they could forget, those who dont know should heed the warning (but probably wont and will live to regret it)

Hey, I'm just trying to do my part to obliterate ignorance in our part of the galaxy...

As to the comment above by GX220, I just wanted to comment that if you're in not-too-cold water, you can flush your wetsuit by opening the neck opening a bit. Like you, I've smelled my share of funky wetsuits, and I'm not too fond of walking around all day in the hot sun smelling like urine, but it only takes a liter or two of seawater to make your suit as good as new. (I also tend to use a bit of mild detergent and soak my suits pretty often, just to keep out the sand, dirt and other funk that accumulates.

Now a Warhammer situation - that's another thing altogether!

(Damn! I did it again! Just can't keep from mentioning it! It must have been the Evil Grier again. Bad Diver! No Cookie!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom