What Min. xtra equip? Safety/Emergency equip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The following gear resides permanently in my BCD pockets. I will add an additional DSMB and line in some locations:

1. small lockback knife

2. signal mirror with waterproof paper and a pencil rubber-banded to it. (Normally functions as a slate replacement, but mirror is easily accessible)

3. EMT shears

4. Light. Always. Every dive, even one which starts in the daytime. For looking under ledges, and can be a lifesaver if I end up on open ocean into nightime. Usually an Ikelite PCa. Sometimes a UK Q40 or the smaller lithium powered light with the same lighthead.

5. 7" x 7' plastic surface marker. Orange plastic about the thickness of a heavy duty trash bag. Surface signalling only. It roll up into a cigar shape about 7" long by less than 1" diameter. Encased in a small diameter bicycle innertube as a protective covering.

6. Whistle and lanyard attached to the signal tube.

7. Dive Alert LP-powered air horn. Attached to the BCD power inflator.

The above gear is reasonably sized and is a permanent part of my dive gear, no matter where the dive is.

Not exactly safety gear, but of possible use are the thin gloves that always reside in a bcd pocket, and the beanie I wear on most dives for thermal protection, but which will give good sun exposure protection of my big bald spot if I'm adrift for an extended period.

The gloves and light usually come out of my BCD pockets when rinsing. I just leave the other gear in place while rinsing and drying the BCD.

Charlie Allen

Thanks guys - very interesting and informative.

BTW, is there a post ya'll can link to that covers common acronymns? Like, what is SMB?

Thanks again.

I wish! If you find one, let me know!
SMB = Surface Marker Buoy
DSMB Deporable? Deployable SMB?

I wish! If you find one, let me know!
SMB = Surface Marker Buoy
DSMB Deporable? Deployable SMB?
DSMB is a DELAYED surface marker buoy. Rather than haul it around the entire dive, you DELAY the deployment until near the end of the dive.

I have two sizes. A small 4x44" one rolls up into a very small compact package. I then wrap 30' of 2mm cord around the rolled up SMB, with a boltsnap on the end as a weight. At 20' or so I let the boltsnap strip the line off, then I orally inflate the SMB and let it pop to the surface. A small DSMB like this is mostly for "DON'T RUN ME OVER" purposes.

I have a 2nd DSMB and a reel, much larger, that I rarely use. It has significantly increased visibility but is larger than I'm usually willing to carry.

The DSMB is in addition to the "orange garbage bag" plastic surface signalling tube that permanently resides in my BCD pocket. Something similar to http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FM36

Back
Top Bottom