What Makes Divers a "DIR Diver"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting that my post answered the question presented...but no one wanted to comment. Maybe there are a few e-divers (DIR ones, of course) that roam these parts?

Could it be that if it isn't about putting down DIR, let it be subtle or not, that the voices that comment all so frequently have nothing to say? Aside from rantings about that GI3 said in '98 and such, these threads are a bit quiet. I wonder how many have actually taken a GUE class.

I was interested in the comments from real divers about DIR, but, alas, no one can make a comment worth anything. 5 pages of nothing is what I see.

PfcAJ:
Interesting that my post answered the question presented...but no one wanted to comment. Maybe there are a few e-divers (DIR ones, of course) that roam these parts?

Wait..are you upset that no one commented on your post? I dont get it.

PfcAJ:
Could it be that if it isn't about putting down DIR, let it be subtle or not, that the voices that comment all so frequently have nothing to say? Aside from rantings about that GI3 said in '98 and such, these threads are a bit quiet.

I love it when people say that stuff he said hurt their feeling even if it was said BEFORE they started diving! But the "Anti-DIR" crowd isnt gonna get too involved in a thread asking the opinion of people who claim to be DIR.

PfcAJ:
I wonder how many have actually taken a GUE class.

somewhere between zero and none would be my guess

PfcAJ:
I was interested in the comments from real divers about DIR, but, alas, no one can make a comment worth anything.

Except for your post right?

No way, WaterDawg. You've got me all wrong.
How many post were about the *crickets* of no replies? You replied, I did, TSandM did, and a few others. I think we need more of that in this pontentially educational and informative post.

If you're implying that GI hurt my feelings, you're wrong. Maybe I'm taking your comment the wrong way. In my opinion, GI has hurt DIR by being so caustic.

I watch more than I reply, obviously. I'm sure you see how many people talk about DIR, but when a thread like this is started, the question is avoided with startling consistancy. A bunch of the DIR voices have avoided comment.

You're analogy to karte is a very good one. Reading and knowing what it's about and actually understanding it and being able to apply it to a real world situation are two different things.

And about replies worth anything, maybe I should be more specific. Alot of replies aren't worth very much. Not worthless.

PfcAJ:
<snip>
Could it be that if it isn't about putting down DIR, let it be subtle or not, that the voices that comment all so frequently have nothing to say? Aside from rantings about that GI3 said in '98 and such, these threads are a bit quiet. I wonder how many have actually taken a GUE class.

I was interested in the comments from real divers about DIR, but, alas, no one can make a comment worth anything. 5 pages of nothing is what I see.
"Seek rather not to contend . . .where there is no contention there is neither defeat nor victory." Such is the new philosophy & promotion of DIR that I sense from the now kinder/gentler/approachable Instructors from GUE (probably in due part to the roll-out of their new Basic OW Course? --I dunno). . .

PfcAJ:
If you're implying that GI hurt my feelings, you're wrong. Maybe I'm taking your comment the wrong way. In my opinion, GI has hurt DIR by being so caustic.

Oh no I did not mean you. I was agreeing w/ your comment about the " '98 GI3 rantings" stuff. Sorry for the confusion.

I don't think any diver is DIR

Kevrumbo:
"Seek rather not to contend . . .where there is no contention there is neither defeat nor victory." Such is the new philosophy & promotion of DIR that I sense from the now kinder/gentler/approachable Instructors from GUE (probably in due part to the roll-out of their new Basic OW Course? --I dunno). . .

I think maybe the kindler/gentler thing is partially an attempt at making DIR seem more..well....caustic than in previous years. GI3 put a hurting on the reputation of DIR with most divers. I think JJ is trying to change that image. Of course, it would also help not to be so scary for the open water class.

I do not consider my self a DIR diver. I am an aspiring DIR diver. I have a provisional for DIR-F. I always dive a "DIR" or hogarth or whatever you want to call it configuration equipment-wise. I understand and apply the team concept, gas management, environmental awareness, etc etc to my dives. I don't know a lot of DIR divers, except through here, so I can't always dive with one. I don't have a problem with that, in that its usually my wife who is my buddy. I would never trade her for the world. She understands my equipment, and we do S-drills, so that she understands what I'm going to do if she's OOA. I know what will happen if I'm OOA.

I too have the position that there aren't a lot of 'pure' DIR divers out there.. I know a few personally, 2 of them are on GUE's instructor list and the other 2 are interning to become a GUE instructor.

Even H2Andy isn't a 'pure' DIR diver. He's looking for a new computer to do deco. That, by definition is not DIR. Will he die? Probably not! Do I still want to dive with him? Heck yeah, I know for a fact he could teach me some stuff about DIR, help me with my skills.

By and large you won't find the 'pure' DIR divers unless you go to High Springs, or the GUE website. My .02

H2Andy:
do you consider yourself a DIR diver? why is that? what, in your opinion, does someone have to "have" to be a DIR diver?
I'm working on being a DIR diver. I doubt I'll meet the GI3-seal-of-approval, but then I would doubt that anyone who wasn't Cave 3 trained could? A Tech 1 diver could be DIR at the Tech 1 level, no? But their training wouldn't qualify them to do a Cave 2-level dive, so they might not be DIR for cave diving. OTOH there are some basic tenants that apply all levels of DIR diving, right?

H2Andy:
[personally, i don't appreciate you calling me a troll and questioning
my motives. it's a cheap shot.]
It looked to me like you were looking for bait. That's how I read it (my perception), and that's what the thread started to turn into (not in dispute). If I misread your motives I apologize.

gjm wrote:

A group of divers who are willing to drop individual preference with gear and procedures for conformity in order to make the dive team more effective both in normal situation and emergency situation. (i.e. OOA)

A focus on basic and fundamental skills that will aid in all diving situations. In addition being willing to spend time working on the basic skills.

Seek an understanding of what is happening to their bodies while underwater and making decisions based that knowledge as opposed to blindly following a table or computer.

A willingness to make changes above water with regards to life style to have a better dive experience underwater.

A willingness to work with other divers to make them better divers.

The more I thought about it, and about what I wrote, the more I wondered if divers who are like this gravitate toward DIR, or if GUE training can actually MAKE somebody like this, or if the truth is somewhere in the middle . . . people who are attracted to the training GUE provides start out with a lot of these characteristics, and they are then honed and polished by the training.

Ok I'll give it a try I just did my DIR F class and I find the gear config. very cool. also if you want to know the real ticket to the DIR system of diving. Go to the gue web site and find an instuctor that is near you or you would like to talk to and ask them. Also DIR is a mind set and attitude as well as gear.

As to the smoking ? NO if you are not willing to give it up for your diving. How could you posibly be DIR mind set!!!!!!!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom