What Makes Divers a "DIR Diver"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Data:
there are many dir-f instructors who have no gue tech certification and don't plan on getting one , would you call them all dir "apprentices"?
It is my understanding is that GUE instructors have to have at least one higher level of training than the level that they can teach at. ie a DIR-f instructor has to have at least cave 1 or tech 1. (This might change will the new GUE OW class, but thats how it used to be)

JeffG:
It is my understanding is that GUE instructors have to have at least one higher level of training than the level that they can teach at. ie a DIR-f instructor has to have at least cave 1 or tech 1. (This might change will the new GUE OW class, but thats how it used to be)

I'm not sure, I mainly gave that example because I thought of gue cave divers who teach dir-f and cave, but no tech classes.
however, looking into the prerequisites I found:

section 3.6.2.
3. With the exception of GUE Recreational Instructor Candidates, all GUE ITC candidates must be qualified as recreational (sport) diving instructors or their equivalent

that means you have to be an instructor with another agency first, but I can't find anything where it says you have to be cave I or tech I first to teach dir-f.
maybe a gue instructor can enlighten us.

I don't feel that this would exclude me from discussing my observations on why it might be best for a woman to sit (or hover) when she pees.

I am not now, nor will I ever be DIR in even the loosest definition. DIR is a commitment to diving excellence which can be best described as a life style. I would hold JJ or GI3 up as two examples of DIR in the purest sense. I would say that the closer I come to that level of DIR, the better it will be for me.

Off the top of my head, DIR in its purest definition is about exercise, diet, physiology, gear and its configuration, skills and proficiency in them, situational awareness, standardization of technique and experience. It's the active pursuit of perfection in all aspects of diving.

From some of the attitudes reflected in prior posts, I am under the impression that some of you believe I should be DIR to discuss any aspect of DIR. I don't agree with that thinking. If the understanding is wrong, address that, but if it's correct, what difference does it make what the 'qualifications' of that person are?

dherbman:
It's the active pursuit of perfection in all aspects of diving.
Where did you get that from?

Data:
this gets me to think, if JJ never took dir-f, he wouldn't be a dir diver if what you said would be true :icosm13:

this is like saying Karl Marx couldn't be a communist until he read
Das Kapital and took a test on it ... .well... he WROTE the book :wink:

Data:
you can be a dir diver, and all you want to do is dive within recreational limits for the rest of your live

very good point.

i ammend my definition to learning and applying the DIR techniques and principles
applicable to your level of diving.

JeffG:

Jeff you are correct.

Looking at the instrucor pqge on the GUE site, the ones who dont have GUE tech/cave were WKPP mambers.

Data,
I see your point, but I think its similar to saying that I can be a cave diver w/ out taking cave trainig because the first cave divers did NOT take a cave class (because it didnt exsist)! Now, I can read a cave book and think I understand it and apply it but unless I pass the class...it dosent matter.

JeffG:
of JJ's book....Right?

he's pulling your long hose

H2Andy:
he's pulling your long hose
Well, I would like to hear that from him. I don't have the book in front of me, but the comment the "DIR is the active pursuit of perfection in all aspects of diving" doesn't ring true and could be just some more trolling. But then again...I've been wrong before.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom