What magazines do you read / recommend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

• Dive Training. Good information, and even with all the knowledge and experience I have I continue to get something out of the magazine. They seem to give new slants to information that is very useful and they do it without too many ads.
  • Rodales. Attitude and some good articles and opinions.
  • Alert Diver. Free with DAN membership. Excellent medical information, case studies, and research on our favorite sport.
  • Skin Diver. Also free with DAN membership, however pretty worthless, except the sex factor (read February 2002 issue).
  • Immersed. Good tech articles (if you want to go that way).
  • Advanced Diver. For those that want to push outside the boundries of OW rec diving but not quite ready for tech prime time.
  • PADI's Sport Diver magazine, for those exotic travel locations.
  • PADI's Undersea Journal (membership mag): for blowing sunshine up your butt about their up and coming philosophy changes and some industry movements (more of a position magazine).

If you are new to dive go with Dive Training . Your ldc should be able to hook you up. IMMERSED used to be ok.

I stick to online these days , I am too much of a packrat to subscribe these days.

PADI sends me Sport Diver , used to be great , now gone the way of Skin Diver.

Ron

I sort of agree with everyone else.

Dive Training for sure. I never miss an issue and learn or review something in every one.

Rodales...I didn't renew my subscription, no matter what the deal was. It's turned into a travel mag. The gear reviews only cover a very few brands and most of the articles just scratch the surface.

Dive Alert is pretty decent.

Skin Diver - very similar to Rodales but the few articles are a bit better.

This is just my opinion of the mags I currently get. Dive Training is the only one I'll renew.

Here's how often I get to a magazine rack, I didn't even realize Dive Training was still in print since DAN stopped using it as their "other" magazine! DUH! Guess I'll have to pick that one up again, sounds like it hasn't changed much and that's a good thing. I like Alert Diver, I really enjoy Dan Orr's articles especially since he's the one who started our program at the university and he certified my buddy/hubby-to-be! Skin Diver was worth the price (free with DAN membership) this time, I really enjoyed the "50 Dives in 50 States" article in the March 2002 issue.
Ber :bunny:

My choices haven't changed since the last time this magazine question was asked.

I get Dive Training, Rodales, Alert Diver and Undercurrent for many of the reasons stated in the preceding posts. If I had to do with just one, it would be Dive Training.

The two I dropped were Sport Diver and Skin Diver 'cause their content has degenerated to little more than pretty pics and puff travel articles. Too bad. Skin Diver used to be a pretty good dive pub back in mid 70s-early 80s.

However, sometimes when there isn't any diving to be had, reading those two is better than nothing...but not much.

Warren

I have subscriptions to Rodales Scuba Diving, Undercurrent, and DAN's Alert Diver. I would also recommend Dive Training. You can get a free copy at an LDS that handles them. You can subscribe to any of the above via their web sites.

I enjoy Dive Training, and also get Alert Diver and Skin Diver with my DAN memebership. California Dive News has good articles and dive site reviews. I do get tired of seeing articles and pictures of Stingray City that seem to be a monthly occurrance in some magazines.

I am new to diving and am looking for ways to improve my knowlege any way I can. Can anyone recomend a good diving magazine for a beginner. I'm not really sure what i'm looking for, so if you can put what the magazine usually has in it I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom