What magazines do you read / recommend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Warren,

"RSD" location reviews many times are not done anonymously. There often is a photographer in tow if the writer doesn't do his own work, and sometimes an executive or staffer or two. Occasionally, the writer of an article may have a financial interest in the location, such as is the case with photographer Stephen Frink's several pieces on the Dominican Republic. No doubt that many resorts/dive ops go the extra mile when they know a scuba journalist is present.

My reviews were done as an independent, and I paid my own way. Not sure if other "RSD" writers have received comps, but I wouldn't be surprised if this happened at some level at least occasionally.

BTW, I write many location reviews for "Undercurrent," and a condition of these is anonymity & no comps.

I might also mention that my location reviews for "RSD" were closely edited for any offense they might have given current or potential advertisers. With "Undercurent," this of course is not an issue.

Dive long & prosper.

DocVikingo

check out 990 or http://www.990mag.com, its a uk mag designed for tekkies and cavers, has a lot of good info and articles for the budding and experienced mixed gas venturer, and from what ive read on here i think some of you could do with a little experience!!!

California Diving News is a monthly newspaper that provides info on local (California)news, events, and dive boat schedules. Copies can be picked up at dive shops throughout the state.

I live in an area where there just aren't any scuba magazines in stores. I'm wondering if there are any good ones worth subscribing to, or what you all might recommend. I guess I am learning everything I need to know right here anyway!

Thanks!

Check out Barns and Noble the one I went to has about 8 different ones in stock to see what you like.

The best one that I have discovered for general scuba info is Dive Training. I find that the information presented is VERY good and their focus is more on providing good info for furthering your scuba education rather than lots of having lots of ads. You can get to their website via www.DiveTrainingMag.com

Enjoy!

There was a post on this a month or so ago I think. I took some of the feedback from that post and subscribed to Dive Training Magazine as TM just said. I've only received one issue so far but it seems to be pretty good. One thing that annoys me about most Dive Magazines is that there is so much garbage in them. Half of the content in them are advertisements for vacations.:upset:

Man, you must live online like I do... (Fortunately my line of work goes hand in hand with the internet.) Anyway, good suggestion I'll go check that out. For some odd reason when I think of buying a magazine I go to gas stations or Wal-Mart... Sometimes the obvious choice is the last one thought of! I'll see if they have Dive Training and check it out...

I like "Dive Training" best overall. Students can get it free for 6 months and some LDS have them free for the taking, but you can subscribe.

I subscribe to the "Undercurrent" newsletter because I like dive travel information.

I subscribe to "Rodale's" because I got two years for the price of one.

"Alert Diver" comes with the DAN membership.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom