What magazines do you read / recommend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubakevdm:
Dive Training magazine is my favorite. It doesnt try to sell stuff, its just good honest information. It's quite informative sometimes, and usually free at your LDS.
Yeah - that one usually has something worth reading and the price is right!

DiverDunk:
I picked up a couple of Scuba mags at the newstand recently, Rodales' and PADI's, and was really disappointed - not much meat there. Are there any good diving magazines left out there?

Steve

Check out Advanced Divers Mag.
http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
This is one great magazine. Not the typical smoke and mirrors of the other rags.

I'm in no way affiliated to this publication except as a subsriber.

Hello Good Divers,
I have found that most diving magazines tend to be made up mostly of advertising (for places/things I can't afford) and very little else.

I subscribed to "Diver's Mag"/"Diver's Ocean Planet" or whatever their proper name is. It has very little advertising (which is why I was happy to send them some dough) and incredible pictures. The articles are pretty good too. The only problem is they stopped sending it...and they won't answer my emails/phone calls...so I'm looking for alternatives.

What's your favorite magazine? Why is it worth buying?

I get a variety of magazines as a result of being a member of various things here and there (ie. Alert Diver from DAN, Michigan Out of Doors from my local Rod and Gun Club), but I will never ever subscribe to a magazine ever again. There is simply too much advertising in something I pay for. If you want advertising, make it free.

Some magazines you buy for the ads, like Computer Shopper, but still, why subscribe?

I have taken the money that I usually spent on magazines, and I buy books instead.

Northwest Dive News.

Good articles about diving in the Northwest. It has advertisements but at least they mostly relate to the type of diving you would do in cold water. Even though you can get the publication for free on the ferries or at dive shops I suscribe.

Advanced Diver Magazine

Go through it page by page every issue. Minimal advertising.

Advanced Diver is good - I need to subscribe to that one.

Rodales is terrible.

I like Divers/Ocean Planet a lot. It catches a lot of flak for being too macho and all that, but they still had some extremely good stuff in their mag. They just went through some huge makeover awhile back and were really slow on getting issues out. I haven't received one for awhile either unfortunately. I really liked them.

I tried subscribing to Immersed three times, as I've heard good things about it. I even got an email back from them saying they would send me the bill. Never gotten a bill nor a magazine.

This magazine:

http://www.divernet.com/index.shtml

Is also very good - you can read all of the back issues online.

stratboy:
I subscribed to "Diver's Mag"/"Diver's Ocean Planet" or whatever their proper name is. It has very little advertising (which is why I was happy to send them some dough) and incredible pictures. The articles are pretty good too. The only problem is they stopped sending it...and they won't answer my emails/phone calls...so I'm looking for alternatives.

Diver's Ocean Planet is out of business, I believe. I read Dive Training (free at many LDS's) and Divernet (on the web).

stratboy:
Hello Good Divers,
I have found that most diving magazines tend to be made up mostly of advertising (for places/things I can't afford) and very little else............so I'm looking for alternatives.

What's your favorite magazine? Why is it worth buying?

I like Dive Training magazine.
Good articles, lots of breadth from beginner to instructor.
Not too many ads yet.

Mike D

Back
Top Bottom