What made you change to BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

because it's the preferred way to do the diving i do - cave diving. though now we're going to sidemount, so everything changes.

everyone link arms & sway - 'turn & face the strange, ch-ch-chaaaangeees...'

I went to a backplate/wing setup once I decided to get the training for technical diving. I started with the backplate/wing, and then started buying all of the other required gear. I found a technical diving instructor and discussed equipment requirements and suggestions.
In my case, I knew I'd need to switch over to a backplate/wing anyway.
I probably should have started out with one anyway. My first BC was a Mares Icon, which I got rid of for a Scubapro Knighthawk, and then got a Deep Sea Supply LCD 30, and an Oxycheq Signature 40. I could have saved some money if I just started out with a Deep Sea Supply LCD 30.

-Mitch

I'm only talking with respect to my diving as an underwater videographer. I don't do much in the way of technical diving (no hard overheads), just occasional deep diving.

I own a BP/W. It is for doubles when I need to use them. For 99% of my diving I prefer a soft harness (ScubaPro X-Tek, equivalent of the original DR Transpac) and wing. I found the BP with a single tank did bot rest well on my back and occasionally shifted. The soft harness conforms to my back and I greatly prefer that.

Also, the webbing on a BP can be difficult to exit from in an emergency. My harness has quick release straps and I can be out of it easily.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom