What made you change to BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My transition was from a nothing to horse-collar BC to a wing. I tried a few jacket BCs and found them too cumbersome and I didn't care for their tendency to trim vertically. Even diving from boats, I almost always surface swim some distance using a snorkel. I really don’t like a bunch of crap hanging off me unless I am on an umbilical.

My situation is greatly different from most of the above, but the reasoning still applies - the BP/W center of gravity.

I should not carry any weight on my back / shoulders. In the BC, I could not trim horizonal without putting four pounds in the upper trim pockets, four more pounds in the BC weight pockets, and the rest on my hips in a weight belt (I dive 5mm and up wetsuits).

So, not only was I wearing an 8.3 lb BCD, but adding 8 lbs to be carried on my back. The out-of-water weight is my biggest concern.

After reading many opinions and testimonies on this board, I bought a BP/W with SS plate. Total weight - 8.2 lbs. A push, in my opinion.

Trying it out in the pool, I found out my Tusa fins were floaty . . . because the BPW did not need weight to trim it out, and all my weight was on my hips . . . exactly what I needed.

I had to get new fins, but I was not carrying any extra weight on my back.

I haven't changed ---just use one sometimes.....18 months ago I bought one out of curiosity, use it about 1/3rd the time now BUT will start using it more in the future.....It's really just a stripped down version of my Zeagle I bought 3 years ago to replace my 22 YO Dacor BC.....ie a BI with no padding essentially--use less weight etc ...........

Someone from Scubaboard loaned me theirs to try out and I liked it a lot more than my jacket BC. Mainly the stability with the tank, it didn't roll around. Trim and so on was fine in my jacket BC but it is annoying when your tank won't stay in the same spot.

So a few months later I got my own.

For me it just fixed everything I disliked about my jacket BC. With the wing everything is behind me, I don't have straps dangling due to their being adjustable and I got D-rings that were in functional places. My SPG could be out of the way, backup lights "disappeared", knife/shears went to the waist belt and the crotch belt kept everything snug.

I have pockets in my drysuit but they have much less in them now. It's much easier to sling a bailout bottle as well.

It just seemed to me like a diver designed it (BP/W) which was never the case for me with jacket BC's.

Purely what I read on SB. No one I know dives with a BP/W and my LDS was dead set against it.

Proves you can learn on the internet.

My transition was from a nothing to horse-collar BC to a wing. I tried a few jacket BCs and found them too cumbersome and I didn't care for their tendency to trim vertically. Even diving from boats, I almost always surface swim some distance using a snorkel. I really don’t like a bunch of crap hanging off me unless I am on an umbilical.

In the last few years our group has all but given up on boat dives in favor of shore diving. We usually roll over on our backs and converse while leisurely kicking out the the descent point. Is it awkward swimming on your back with the BP/W? I'd hate to give up those pre and post dive swim conversations. :idk:

In the last few years our group has all but given up on boat dives in favor of shore diving. We usually roll over on our backs and converse while leisurely kicking out the the descent point. Is it awkward swimming on your back with the BP/W? I'd hate to give up those pre and post dive swim conversations. :idk:

No, I find it better actually. I often inflate mine a lot and then the wing acts as a pillow too, very comfortable :)

Made one 20 years ago to try and be cool even though all my other stuff was adequate to excellent. but still used all the other stuff as well and the plate bent apart because I used to thin aluminium.

Then this year I got a custom 11lb plate, stuck a bunch of H stuff on it including the cinch because of all the BS on SB and the net and I am happy. but still use all my other stuff inc museum pieces.

It's the cool bit that didn't work.

Except with the Fenzy and twin hose.

… We usually roll over on our backs and converse while leisurely kicking out the the descent point. Is it awkward swimming on your back with the BP/W? I'd hate to give up those pre and post dive swim conversations. :idk:

I probably depends on the geometry of the jacket, but it is generally no worse on your back than wearing a partially filled jacket. My preference has always been to see what is underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom