What kind of Scooter??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jo8243:
<scubaboard mode on> Scooters are dangerous. You shouldn't use the scooter to go further than you can swim back <scubaboard mode off>
:)
...or further than my buddy can tow me back....

However, I assume your post was in jest...

All the best, James

<scubaboard mode on> Scooters are dangerous. You shouldn't use the scooter to go further than you can swim back <scubaboard mode off>

If it is a cheapo SeaDoo leave it where it died--treasure salavage for the next guy. If it is a high dollar unit then launch an extra sausage and hook to it and send it to the surface. Get back to the boat and go pick it up. N

I have 2 seadoo scooters the vs and the gti,they are not serious scooters but when you have to walk up and down cliffs or big hills(mainly up) or carry them on a boat the seadoos are only 18lbs. but they can be a blast shooting through kelp and over reefs and they do pull you a lot faster than you can swim.

saintsfan:
I have 2 seadoo scooters the vs and the gti,they are not serious scooters but when you have to walk up and down cliffs or big hills(mainly up) or carry them on a boat the seadoos are only 18lbs. but they can be a blast shooting through kelp and over reefs and they do pull you a lot faster than you can swim.

Not having tried a Seadoo scooter...how fast are they (side-by-side) in comparison to a 24 volt type scooter? I used a Cayman Tyger (yellow slug like) and it was so slow that the only thing keeping the pilot awake was having to steer it from going into the sand. :eyebrow: Yawn.

Mr. X, helloooooooo,

"Not having tried a Seadoo scooter...how fast are they (side-by-side) in comparison to a 24 volt type scooter? I used a Cayman Tyger (yellow slug like) and it was so slow that the only thing keeping the pilot awake was having to steer it from going into the sand. Yawn."

The difference in speed is huge. My 24V Teknas will blow your mask off. If you stand in a pool in wasit deep water and click them on they will ski you along the bottom despite ypur best effort to hold still. They have approximtely five times the thrust of a SeaDoo. They are WAY FAST. OK, on the middle position they are much faster, on high they are way faster. Using high position requires a tow harness and even then the force of the water swirling by as a result of the speed is uncomfortable. Dangling consoles, spgs, big eye masks and flapping bag style BC units that are so popular and other things flapping in the breeze would not be wise.

N

Nemrod:
Mr. X, helloooooooo,

"Not having tried a Seadoo scooter...how fast are they (side-by-side) in comparison to a 24 volt type scooter? I used a Cayman Tyger (yellow slug like) and it was so slow that the only thing keeping the pilot awake was having to steer it from going into the sand. Yawn."

The difference in speed is huge. My 24V Teknas will blow your mask off. If you stand in a pool in wasit deep water and click them on they will ski you along the bottom despite ypur best effort to hold still. They have approximtely five times the thrust of a SeaDoo. They are WAY FAST. OK, on the middle position they are much faster, on high they are way faster. Using high position requires a tow harness and even then the force of the water swirling by as a result of the speed is uncomfortable. Dangling consoles, spgs, big eye masks and flapping bag style BC units that are so popular and other things flapping in the breeze would not be wise.

N

Thanks Nemrod. I have a Gavin and a super rocket of a Mako. My Mako does pretty much what you described..." blow your mask off". My Mako is so perfect that it leaves a wake behind the diver. I love the unit so much that I never let anyone use it!

I didn't want to knock the versatility of a SeaDoo without having tried it. However, I do suspect that much like the Cayman Tiger these 12 volters are anemic and disappointing for people who have experienced thrust! :D X

I think it really depends on what someone wants the scooter for. If you want it for some recreational fun, There is nothing wrong with the Seadoo VS supercharged or the GTI unit. The supercharged will travel at a max of 4KM.

I can understand that if you require it for tec or cave diving, then you are in a whole different ball game and then would require a more advance type of scooter.

I have been looking to pruchase one and there are many factors to consider to the purchase. The two biggest factors are cost and travel ability. For my purpose of use spending $3000+ for a toy becasue to me that is all that it is would be insane. As well I often travel via plane with my grear bag which is already on the heavy side. Having to pay additional fees to put it on a plane becasue it weighs more then 30 pounds, does not make it a versatile toy.

I was looking at the new seadoo scooter explorer. it weighs about 32 pounds, add that to a grear bag and suitscase. the extra baggage plus carrying it all is not an option.

I do not feel that you should be calling the seadoo scooters crappy, just because they are not as expensive as your fancy scooters. For a recreational diver looking for a toy and do not need to have their mask blown off perhapps they will be fine. Just becasue it does not fit your needs, does not mean it is not good for someone else. I have no fears about pruchasing the seadoo VS supercharged, acctually I am going to a Seadoo store this week to look at it.

"I do not feel that you should be calling the seadoo scooters crappy, just because they are not as expensive as your fancy scooters. "

Well, I have not seen the insides of the very newest SeaDoos but the ones I have seen which included the Supercharged or whatever they call it had a tiny little motor about the size of one from a Dust Buster and about as powerfull. The gears for the gear reduction were nylon/plastic and the entire assembly including the switch mechanism is cheesy. The description fits.

Travel, that is an issue with all dive gear, many people dive in their own backyard locales so for them travel via the airline is not an issue

I think there is promise in their design that some future versions might be a bit more substantial, just have not seen it yet.
N

jo8243:
You're just jealous you spent so much money. :) You also didn't mention that the big high dollar scooters are also heavy and hard to lug around to the dive site. The seadoos are plenty for the average recreational diver.
http://stores.ebay.com/Atlantic-Water-Scooters-Inc
SeaDoo X151. 24 volt. $225

I've had my seadoo vs supercharged for 2 years now and have at least 15 dives on it with no problems.

Looking at these babies seems a good deal, It's the same as the Seadoo supercharged and beats the heck out of leisure pro.

Maybe I'll get one of these to experiment with and get the hang of it.

Seadoo makes 2 other models that doesn't take depth, maybe that was what Nemrod saw, he'll have to clarify that.

It says it is 24V and has metal gears, not the cheese plastic ones.

"Seadoo makes 2 other models that doesn't take depth, maybe that was what Nemrod saw, he'll have to clarify that."

Doesn't take depth--huh? I said the motor was the size of a Dust Buster and the gears were made from plastic--I did not say anything about depth.

I do believe eventually they will develop one at least suitable for semi serious use.

The real dive scooters use a large direct drive 24V motor. The SeaDoos have a plastic geared motor that is very tiny in comparison and runs on 12V.

The SeaDoo produces an anemic 12 to 18 lbs of thrust and the 24V scooters run 50 to 75 lbs of thrust. You do the math.

N

Back
Top Bottom