Question Genesis DPV, storage/discharge and the charge connector cap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have let my Genesis 2.2 sit for almost a week now with the charge connector cap installed.

It was at 91% charge and my intent has been to drop it down to 80% or less and then just let it sit until the next time I use it.

After almost a week, with the charge cap on, it is at 90%.

I figured I would share this because I have been curious about how quickly it would run down if I left the cap in place. Like, do I need to be anal about removing the charging cap at the end of they day after my last dive? Or is it okay to leave it on until I get home? Or what?

Now I feel pretty safe just leaving it on during a whole dive trip and waiting to take it off until I get home. With it removed, I am more concerned that I will lose it or that something will hit and damage the 4 pins that are exposed when that cap is removed. In practical terms, I could probably just leave it on all the time. At anything like 1% per week, it's not going to run down enough to hurt it in between the times that I will use it (and charge it when needed).

Which brings me to my question: Is there anything wrong with leaving the charging cap on all the time? Some long term problem that could result?

This is assuming I use the scooter at LEAST once every, say, 3 or 4 months, and I charge it before use on the occasions where it needs it (say, I'm going to use it and the charge is down below 40%).

Note that I am not saying it will sit 3 - 4 months between each time I use it. I'm just saying that I might use it every weekend for a while, but then have a 3-4 month stretch where I don't dive as much and where the diving I do does not include using a scooter. E.g. over Thanksgiving and Christmas, where my only diving might be teaching OW and maybe a trip to Cozumel or someplace where I don't take a scooter. So, it sits from November into February or something like that.

Side note: I am not exactly thrilled with those 4 charging pins on the nose. The charge connector cap AND the power supply connector are both long enough that you can't really fit them down in there between the pins and the side of the nose and then slide them STRAIGHT onto the pins. The first part of pushing the cap/connector onto the pins has the connector angled up, which puts a bending force on the pins themselves.

I have found that with the cap, I can smush it down in there, so just the pull handle part of it is bending as I start to slide it onto the pins. But, I still feel like I have to be careful. With the power supply connector, the cable kind of prevents that, so there's no helping bending those pins some as you start to slide it on and finish removing it.

Related side note: It seems like it would be kind of nice if the charge connector cap had an On and an Off position. Put it on one way and the scooter will run. Put it on the other way and the pins are protected, but the scooter is Off and will not turn on. I don't like having to leave the cap off, when I could possibly lose it, and I don't really like how fragile and exposed the charging pins look when the cap is off.

It won’t last three months and you’ll fuxxor your batteries if you run into a jam where you can dive. The pins aren’t fragile at all.

Drill a hole in the handle of the cap. Put a bolt snap in it and clip it to your handle. Then you won’t worry about losing it.

It won’t last three months and you’ll fuxxor your batteries if you run into a jam where you can dive. The pins aren’t fragile at all.

Drill a hole in the handle of the cap. Put a bolt snap in it and clip it to your handle. Then you won’t worry about losing it.

Okay. All good to know.

Is there anything wrong with letting it sit with the cap on for the specific purpose of letting the batteries run down to 80%?

I know I can just run the motor to run it down for storage, but that's not an option at the moment, so I'm just doing what I can in the meantime.

Okay. All good to know.

Is there anything wrong with letting it sit with the cap on for the specific purpose of letting the batteries run down to 80%?

I know I can just run the motor to run it down for storage, but that's not an option at the moment, so I'm just doing what I can in the meantime.

Not sure. My batteries are always full

That little plug cap is a weird item for sure. It's supposed to be installed when using, but the manual says the DPV will operate without it. That would imply that it is for pin protection only, but if that was the case, why the risk of current drain when it is on? It's definitely odd, and I am an electrical engineer. It's far superior to having to disassemble the DPV to charge but still it does not feel fully baked. Fortunately it is a pretty minor thing.

I did not like having it exposed during travel either, so I found a plastic screw lid that is just the right diameter to fit inside the nosecone. Actually it is a little smaller and I added some foam edge bumpers so that it pressure fits into the nose. It protects the pins pretty well. I agree though that a 2-way plug cap would be much better -- one way for travel and flip over for use. I would send photos but I'm not near the DPV at the moment.

That little plug cap is a weird item for sure. It's supposed to be installed when using, but the manual says the DPV will operate without it. That would imply that it is for pin protection only, but if that was the case, why the risk of current drain when it is on? It's definitely odd, and I am an electrical engineer. It's far superior to having to disassemble the DPV to charge but still it does not feel fully baked. Fortunately it is a pretty minor thing.

I did not like having it exposed during travel either, so I found a plastic screw lid that is just the right diameter to fit inside the nosecone. Actually it is a little smaller and I added some foam edge bumpers so that it pressure fits into the nose. It protects the pins pretty well. I agree though that a 2-way plug cap would be much better -- one way for travel and flip over for use. I would send photos but I'm not near the DPV at the moment.

In my opinion, that cap is simply not very well explained in the documentation.

The cap has contacts inside that complete a circuit between some of the pins, which is what turns the scooter on. I.e. enables the throttle to work.

By removing the cap, the throttle will not work - in air. But, if you leave the cap off and get in the water with it, the water itself completes the circuit between the pins, so the scooter is "turned on" just by being in the water.

I think it's a pretty good setup. The only changes I would make are:

- make it so the cap is reversible, so it can be left on the pins, but the scooter still be off, in an "Off" orientation, and flipped over to turn the scooter "On".

- Make the cap and charging connector shorter or move the charge connector over. Either way, this change would make it where the cap or charger can be put on/connected without putting a bending force on the pins.

Ultimately, these would be pretty minor changes. It seems to work plenty well enough just like it is.

Update on this: I am a moron. Shocker, I know.

I was premature in my observation that leaving the cap on did not cause the batteries to drain appreciably.

I did not have the batteries connected to the motor, as the motor was off at Logic being serviced. I now understand that it is having the motor connected that is what facilitates the drain when the cap is on.

Doh! Stupid me!

Also, for loss prevention on the charging cap, I made a little tiny bungee necklace for it.

Attachments

• 2023-09-22 11.15.23.jpg
    2023-09-22 11.15.23.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 47
When the cap is installed, the bungee stows neatly out of the way.

Attachments

• 2023-09-22 11.15.51.jpg
    2023-09-22 11.15.51.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 51
When the cap is off, the bungee is just long enough to run through/around something, then stick the cap through it, with no chance of coming undone by accident.

Attachments

• 2023-09-22 11.16.29.jpg
    2023-09-22 11.16.29.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 50
Yeah I had a feeling there was more to your story than just "no drain with plug installed".

I'm going to rig up something similar but have it capture my car key so that I can't forget to remove the plug. Kind of like putting one shoe in the hotel safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom