what kind of law would you write?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter:
\
Why do you feel the need to impose your will in areas where you do not live? Canada doesn't have the death penalty? It's none of my business because I don't live there. Florida does have the death penalty. I live here. If I like having the death penalty, I should work to support it. If I don't want the death penalty, I should work to have the law changed. It's not the business of anyone who isn't a citizen of Florida.
I wasn't aware that I was "imposing my will"
I was responding to a thread on a message board.

I'm sorry that you cannot think a bit more globally, and seem to believe that only laws that directly affect you warrant any thought or concern.

Some governments, including my own, do feel it is a concern for them, and have anti-extradition laws and treaties for accused persons who may have the death penalty imposed as a sentence.

And I reiterate that I was simply responding to a question posed: "what kind of law would you write"

ams511:
a smoker uses no more public service than a non-smoker
Absolutely untrue. The drain in public health dollars from smoking related illnesses among those whose medical care is supported by tax dollars is astronomical.
Rick

the government has far far overstepped its constitutional mandates, but the simple fact that lowering taxes increases revenue proves that we are on the back side of the Laffer curve and that max revenue can be achieved at an even lower tax rate.

yes...I want them to provide security and infastructure. period.

I love the way Congress gave themselves a big raise and the millitary the smallest in history (I think...)

The less they do, the better off we will all be. Gridlock? great...pay them extra for that please.

Rick Murchison:
The drain in public health dollars from smoking related illnesses among those whose medical care is supported by tax dollars is astronomical.

also obesity...

let's ban obesity!

no...but lets not pay them extra to sit home.

I am tired of all these handicapped spots with nothing but lazy people...

I rarely see anybody that looks handicapped...yes, yes...I know they could have some hidden condition.

How many vet amputees are parking there? None. too proud.

Bill51, you are smart and wise.

My understanding of the fair tax is that you are taxed on what you buy. No income tax, no taxes on companies. If you make alot, you aren't taxed anymore thanthe poor guy, until you buy alot of stuff. Or osmething like that. I REALLY need to read the book to understand it.

I want to be able to know more of this stuff, but as a student I can only put so much time in any one subject :) I have the coolest history teacher ever this year, he actually makes us think. We are busy working our way through the Consitituion now....actually, that's pretty much all we've studied.

We need taxes. But we need less of them :) My big beef is that I pay income tax but can't vote (atleast not for five more months). That is taxation without representation! I also buy gas and pay tariffs on it and everything else I buy. Again, taxation without representation! If I'm being taxed, I want to have the right to choose who represents me!

And it depresses me tha tonly about 1/4 of the people vote in a non presidential election, and onlya bout 60% vote in a prez. election. Everyone complains, but not everyone votes! If you vote, and it didn't go your way, then ok, complain. If you didn't vote, and it didn't go your way, then shut the freak up! How about a bill to outlaw complainging about the elections unless you voted? Anyone hearing a complaint could file a report, someone checks and sees if the person voted. If the person didn't, and there are atleast two witnesses that will verify to a judge that this person did complain about a loss or a win in an election where they did not vote, but were eligible to and registered to, then they get fined $100.

Rick Murchison:
Absolutely untrue. The drain in public health dollars from smoking related illnesses among those whose medical care is supported by tax dollars is astronomical.
Rick

You did not post my full quote on the subject. My point was they do not require an more general services from the government than a non-smoker. So why should they pay more taxes to fund those services? The cigarette tax money should go into a fund to pay their medical costs, fund stop smoking ads, and fund cancer research. Not pay teachers and police. Same thing with beer taxes, fund liver research, rehabilitation of alcholics, and increased drunk driving task forces.

Also, If you believe smokers die younger then they also save money by not collecting social security as long as a non-smoker.

JahJahwarrior:
My understanding of the fair tax is that you are taxed on what you buy. No income tax, no taxes on companies. If you make alot, you aren't taxed anymore thanthe poor guy, until you buy alot of stuff. Or osmething like that.

In this system the poor and misers pay little or no tax. I still need more convincing on why misers should be let off the hook.

Peter Guy:
3. Hunting -- Should "children" be permitted to shoot a gun? If so, under what conditions?

Oh it's getting late! When I read this, I thought it said hunting children!

A few ideas. The "legalize it" topic makes good debate material since there is a good amount of info available.

A topic in my public policy course that sparked debate was moving to a pay for use tax system. For example, if you like diving those marine sanctuaries, you pay for the up keep. Not enough divers visiting? Maybe we drill for oil. The example we used in class was building condos in Yellowstone.

Finally, how about requiring the names assigned to ballot issues be descriptive of what they do. For example, we had an issue on the state ballot called Smoke Less Ohio. Let's try a test. Did Smoke Less Ohio propose:
(a) Limiting the hours and locations (within xxx feet of schools) that tobacco could be sold;
(b) Place a limit on the amount of tobacco an individual could purchase;
(c) Increase the tax on tobacco, making them more expensive;
(d) Provide funding for anti-smoking campaigns;or
(e) Ammend the state constitution making it mandatory that businesses allow smoking, including in municipalities that have voter enacted bans?
The answer is (e).

Back
Top Bottom