• Naturalist

Votes: 61 46.9%
  • Explorer

Votes: 86 66.2%
  • Hunter

Votes: 21 16.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure your description is entirely accurate, but in the spirit of the word, it is a close fit.

My favourite diving is on shipwrecks. The best dive is of course a new wreck, recently discovered, largely intact.

The great lakes are strewn with wrecks from the 1800's to 1940's. We are fortunite to have this resource adjacent to Ontario.

Mike D

:blfish:

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
BTW: those bred for the table animals that you eat?

They are filled with growth hormones, insecticides, herbicides and industrial pollutants as well as having been genetically altered and then fed the farm version of soylent green for their short miserable lives before being terrified up a chute to suddenly die with an overload of adrenaline coarsing through them. [/B]

This is true, unless you buy organic (and is a major motivating factor for many people who do so.)

I'm not against spearfishing, provided you eat what you take.

As for the survey, I think I fit most closely into the naturalist category.

....on the clever way I worked the pig, chicken and beef into PCB... and getting all the lines to slope just right too...

Sometimes I wonder if folks are even paying attention to the really important stuff....

~~~~~~~~~~

:D

I would be a hunter more than anything else. Flame away, I don't care. I hunt fish, crab, deer, elk, birds and whatever else I like to eat that is legal. I figure if I shoot 1 fish for dinner it's better than buying 1 pound of fish in a supermarket that it took 2 pounds of unwanted fish to provide me with the 1 pound that I eat. I kill 1 fish and eat 1 fish. I don't fish in protected areas, I don't fish out of season and I don't take more than my limit. I'm sick of the anti hunters out there whining.

Those of you that think that it's easy to kill fish or deer try it sometime. I wish it were that easy. I'd never buy beef again! This weekend is the opening of deer season here. I'll be very lucky if I get one and if I do it will mean I walked many miles of mountain trails and got lucky and saw one. Then I will have packed it out on my back back to my vehicle. Easy yeah right!

Scott

UP,

I certainly do notice your clever (or is that cleaver?) posts. I laugh myself silly.

We will all never agree on the hunting issue and it comes up quite often. It just one of those things that we have to agree to disagree on. I haven't seen one mind changed yet.

That being said (and I love the taste of PCB in the morning!), I would say I am definately a naturalist. Give me critters to observe over wrecks, currents, hunting, any day.

-becky

I think Sydney_Diver has hunting and poaching screwed up a little bit. You say that hunting fish/deer is wrong, yet you will eat an animal that was held in a pen and born simply to slaughter. Kinda ironic.

I am not saying you are wrong, or an idiot, or anything like that, I am simply saying I disagree.

Anyway, on to the poll. I voted naturalist, because for now I just enjoy taking in as many sights as I can. I have no interest in spearfishing, just not my cup of tea. I am down there to look around. I am working towards explorer though. I love to look into and "explore" everything. That is the reason I got into cave diving. Maybe one day, I can map and lay line in some new cave.

Unless you live in a mud hut and grow all your own veggies you will have a negative impact on the environment .Contrary to common thinking "organic' food can actually have the same or more of an impact .This in part due to the transportation and part due to the relative inefficiency of organic methods.Our very sport is somewhat invasive.The point that we personally affect the environment within legal and ethical bounds is our own buisness.Scott hit a very important point about the commercial harvest of game of any sort.There is inherently going to be some waste.In the US shrimping ,bottom trawling and longlining take up to 10 times the amount of useful catch as discarded bycatch.In SE Asia the destruction of wetlands and estuaries to make fish and shrimp/prawn farms is rampant as well.And if you think commercially grown meat animals, freerange or not ,aren't given anti-biotics,hormones or any other PROFIT increasing drugs I'd like to congratulate the grower on a wonderful propaganda coup.The use of poisons,explosives,bottom trawls,longlines,bleach should never be tolerated,to the point of boycotting areas or countries and reported when witnessed.

Back
Top Bottom