• Skull mounted slide rule

Votes: 8 2.7%
  • RDP wedged somewhere on the body

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Other

Votes: 26 8.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ziggys_Friend once bubbled...
As for the 120 mnemonic, we could tell you but then we’d have to kill you. Best suggestion I can give you, take a DIR-F course and see if you too are not converted!
The 120 mnemonic is pretty simple, but doesn't work for a multilevel dive. For that you must do additional fudge factors based on average depth. And the 120 mnemonic doesn't help much with figuring out your repetitive dive, either.

Oh, and 24 meters + 40 minutes doesn't equal 120.

I have a Cobra, Vyper, and Air Lux. My first computer was the console mounted Vyper. Later added the Cobra and picked up the Air Lux for next to nothing and its not used often. When I am diving on trips, I take the Vyper out of the console and put in the wrist band (which I purchased separately) as a backup computer to the COBRA and it allows me to easily check my depth while I take videos.

I am considering going hoseless/wireless but can't justify the $1K for the Vytek and face buying yet another download kit.

Otter

I use an Air Z Nitrox and have never had bit of trouble. Never lost transmission data due to cameras, wrecks caves or diving around other Air Z's. The only draw back is, it's a single gas computer. Considering the VR3 for trimix diving.

I used to use a dive computer (wrist mount), but not comfortable relying on it............. I now use basic watch and dive table combo - without a hitch!

I say 'dump the techy crap' and get back to basics!!

computers are for girls!

Dirk, have you ever made a mistake in your life? I thought so... there's your hitch. We make mistakes and computers get fried sometimes. Your basic water"proof" watch sometimes gets fried too. Tables are good to know and use and everyone should use them as a backup. Most people do carry a cheap waterproof watch as a backup bottom timer. I also have a backup wristmount depth guage. My cobra is air integrated but I don't carry a backup spg because I check my air enough to know how much I have if it goes out. The extra spg hose is just another failure point.

We use dive computers to get more dives/dive time during a day safely.

jamiei once bubbled...
Most people do carry a cheap waterproof watch as a backup bottom timer. I also have a backup wristmount depth guage.
Backup watches and depth gauges are just extra unecessary clutter. You DO have a buddy don't you? While you and your buddy aren't always at the same exact depth, you should always be close enough to use him for the info needed to gracefully abort (or complete) your dive

Vyper in a console. I like not having another separate thing, and I like compactness/lightness of SUUNTO console, with the compass on the back. (Especially compared to my old console, which was just massive!) I wear my old Suunto Solution wrist mount as a backup, or sometimes secure it in a pocket.

I had great service from SUUNTO in the past. We started with SMLs. Sent them in for service before a trip when I thought there was enough time, but UPS lost them on the return. SUUNTO (or whatever their US company was at the time) overnighted me a pair of Solutions just before we left, even though this wasn't really their fault. I returned them after the trip, with a thank you for the service, as UPS had found the SMLs in the meantime and sent them back to SUUNTO. Instead of sending us the old ones back, they sent the new ones, with printouts of all our dives they downloaded, and said enjoy! (An customer service experience which has made me biased towards SUUNTO computers, though I like their computers anyway.)

Just sold Spora sub Zenix (nice computer, but air and nothing else) and ordered VR3:D .For backup dive watch (Quantum Barracuda)

Back
Top Bottom