• Skull mounted slide rule

Votes: 8 2.7%
  • RDP wedged somewhere on the body

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Other

Votes: 26 8.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nicodaemos

Reaction score
Hey, I don't have any computer right now except the rusty one between the ears. I'm wondering what kind of computer mount are people using ... advantages/disadvantages of wrist mount (watch) versus a console?

I have a Suunto Vyper wristmounted with bungee cord.

GP once bubbled...
I have a Suunto Vyper wristmounted with bungee cord.
Any particular reason you went with a wrist mount over a console?

nicodaemos once bubbled...

It doesn't get lost/squashed/mashed etc when you load your kit onto the boat

You console is a lot less bulky (wrist mounted compass too)

It is easy find and read

You can take it anywhere to download the data for your logbook

I am usin a Nitek C. It is the size of a watch and it set to gauge mode.

It works great but doesn't download : (

SO I am looking to sell my Titanium watch/computer/timer and get a Suunto Vyper.

Well...I actually bought it in a console with a compass and an SPG. It only took one dive to figure out the console had to go. I absolutely hated it. Having the computer on the right wrist, compass on the left wrist and SPG clipped off on left hip D-Ring works out so much nicer for me. Everthing is right where I know they're at. I find it to be much easier to manage ascents for one thing on my right wrist when my left hand is controlling the BC's inflator/deflator. Another nice thing is that it leaves my right hand free since I don't have to hold the console or fumble around trying to find it whether it be on a retractor or dragging across the bottom like so many clowns seen on tv and in magazines.
I also like wristmounting the computer and compass with bungee cord instead of the stock rubber watch band straps too because 1. I find it to be way easier to get on and off. 2. It's depth compensating. 3. It's more secure in that there are no watch strap pins to pop out of the holes.

GP once bubbled...
Having the computer on the right wrist, compass on the left wrist and SPG clipped off on left hip D-Ring works out so much nicer for me. Everthing is right where I know they're at. I find it to be much easier to manage ascents for one thing on my right wrist when my left hand is controlling the BC's inflator/deflator.
:idea: That's a great idea!!! Wow, I didn't even question the notion of wearing a dive computer on my left wrist. Wearing it on the right makes perfect sense since you have to hold the BC deflator in the left .... that's very cool!

GP once bubbled...
I also like wristmounting the computer and compass with bungee cord instead of the stock rubber watch band straps too because 1. I find it to be way easier to get on and off. 2. It's depth compensating. 3. It's more secure in that there are no watch strap pins to pop out of the holes.

I'm not up to speed with all the equipment yet. Is the bungee cord a standard wrist mounting option or is this something you rigged together yourself?

Thanks GP, you've given me some great ideas!

Is the bungee cord a standard wrist mounting option or is this something you rigged together yourself?

I rigged it myself thanks to the pictures posted by Windknot awhile ago. I've posted the links to the pics below.
bungee pic 1
bungee pic 2

Nice pics, GP. What is that yellow stuff that is threading through the case loops and wrapping the bungee cord?

Nice pics, GP. What is that yellow stuff that is threading through the case loops and wrapping the bungee cord?
I'm not sure what the yellow line is in the pics but I used 24lb. test fish line threaded through about 4 or 5 times. I've got about 50 dives so far on this setup and it's held up great with no signs of wear. I highly recommend it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom