What kayak to purchase?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maresdiver

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have the opportunity to purchase an Ocean Kayak Frenzy and an Ocean Kayak Scrambler both for $550, or $175 for the Frenzy and $375 for the Scrambler. I was also considering the Sevylor Diveyak for $289. I am looking for a kayak to dive from as well as play in the surf and flounder gig as well. my internet research has shown that both are good options. What do other divers think? Anyone have experience with inflatables or the Ocean Kayaks? Should I consider another brand? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I tried out a bunch of them and decided on the Ocean Kayak Prowler. The scrambler is like a river barge. In the frenzy my butt kept bumping rocks.

For current production I think the Prowler 13 would be a good choice. The Scramblers are wider and more stable and therefore more diffucult to paddle. Of the yaks OK has made in recent years many people including me think that the Scupper Pro TW is the ultimate (but no longer offered). It is over 15 feet long, more narrow than the Prowler and it is FAST and it can carry a large load including a fully rigged tank in the front hatch plus a fully rigged tank in the rear well. If you could find one used and in good shape the Scupper Pro is hard to beat when speed is the need for a diving yak. It also has a better shaped rear well for a tank than the flat bottom wells so prevelant today. However, the Prowler 13/15 well will carry a tank nicely.

BTW, if your wide in the rear, lol, the Scupper would not be the ideal steed as it is a narrow, long, fast yak.

N

I have a Sevelor dive yak and like its portability.It is short however which is not so great on longer runs because the bow really moves back and fourth too much as you paddle.

I have the Ocean Prowler 13 as well. Could not be happier.
A word of advice, get it in yellow if there is any sort of boat traffic around where you will be using it. I am on both sides of the coin. Often even the red is hard to spot form the helm of a 19,000 pounds of 24 knot vessel with no less than 100 distractions. Oars too should be a bright color.
Stay safe and enjoy

I have the opportunity to purchase an Ocean Kayak Frenzy and an Ocean Kayak Scrambler both for $550, or $175 for the Frenzy and $375 for the Scrambler.
The Scrambler is much better suited for scuba than the Frenzy. I wouldn't bother with the Frenzy. I'm not familiar with the Sevylor.

I use the Ocean Kayak Malibu-Two. I don't break any speed records with it but I love the versatility. It can be paddled tandem or solo. It can carry two freedivers with gear or one scuba diver with 2 tanks. 2 tanks is a bit crowded though.

I own the frenzy actually a couple. I've used them for years in both the surf and diving. If you want to use it for using the surf as well as diving you'll find the length of the frenzy a lot more maneuverable and it is a lighter as well.
The scrambler does make a more stable platform for diving though hope you have a tug to push it along.

How about the wilderness Tarpon 120? Anyone who tried it?

and what is the advantage of the prowler 13 over the scrambler 11? (not only for diving but in general?)

Would the Caper (Ocean kayak) be an option also for diving?

thanks

How about the wilderness Tarpon 120? Anyone who tried it?

and what is the advantage of the prowler 13 over the scrambler 11? (not only for diving but in general?)

Would the Caper (Ocean kayak) be an option also for diving? thanks

Kayak stability is not simply derived from width but is a function of width and length. Long kayaks are more stable for a given width and they are FASTER and track better which makes it much easier to paddle them efficiently over a distance. The Prowler 13 has a nice length to width ratio and is an efficient paddler, the Scrambler by comparison is a polywog. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom