All Around BC for Travel Rec Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am about backplates and wings, however my friend has Aqualung Rogue BCD, back inflated, pretty streamlined and somewhere around half to two thirds of the weight of my backplate and wing setup.

The DGX is the least expensive option. I do like the quick drying aspect of the Deep 6 offering (wing and harness). It dries much faster than my canvas options. That may or may not be an issue with you depending on how you travel. If you move around a bunch, it is nice to not develop a funky smell. Don't ask me how I know (my precious travel BCD is a darn good performer but didn't dry as quickly).

If that’s a question to me, I use 3 mm and 6 mm steel plates as well as aluminum one.
Yes, I was just interested in what material you were using for your weight comparison.

Yes, I was just interested in what material you were using for your weight comparison.
With Alu plate and super light skeleton STA, my rig weights about 3,5-4 kg.

The SP Level weighs 7.3 pounds in size XL. The SG Paragon rig weighs 7.5 pounds with 3 mm aluminum backplate, 30 pound wing and adjustable harness. Add 3 pounds for 3 mm SS plate.

The lightest BP/W setup I've seen is the XDeep Ghost, 5.3 pounds with deluxe harness. I am skeptical of its single-layer wing and high-riding waist strap, but that's just me. And it's pricey relative to the others mentioned.

The two happiest days in the vacation diver's life: the day you buy some cool gear, and the day you sell it.

The lightest BP/W setup I've seen is the XDeep Ghost, 5.3 pounds with deluxe harness. I am skeptical of its single-layer wing and high-riding waist strap, but that's just me. And it's pricey relative to the others mentioned.
It is a very good travel BCD. I had one but I sold it. XDeep makes very good gear. Yes the waist strap is high but was a non issue for me. As a photographer, i found that I could put myself in any position and not move.

I have a Sub Gravity aluminum backplate, 26 lb wing and adjustable harness for my travel BCD.
For a non BP/W option I would look at the Dive Rite HydroLite. HydroLite BC - Dive Rite

My travel setup is a Helium Dive titanium backplate with all titanium buckle/slides/d rings/tank buckles with a Halycon Traveler Pro 20lb wing.

Comes in at 5lbs 5oz.

It was not inexpensive but has been great for those far-off destinations with limited luggage allowance. It can be used with or without the titanium STA which weighs an additional 3.8oz.

That said, my SS plate, harness & 30lb wing get used for the majority of my dive trips. I prefer the weight of the system for diving.

RE: the OP's question. As Rongoodman stated above, "a SS plate, 30# wing, and one piece harness should be fine."-

Just choose your flavor.

Back
Top Bottom