What I've learned from the Accidents/Incidents report forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What I've learned from the Accident/Incidents forum is to instruct my family members, loved ones and friends who are non-divers, to allow whatever findings comes out of the investigation to be posted on any and all scuba sites, newspapers and news media so the dive community will learn from my death. They are also instructed not to read the Accident/Incidents forum if they are going to disrupt the learning process.

There dose not seem to be a lot to be learned from these threads. I do not study them on a regular basis but did check out a few having to do with diver deaths off the east end of Long Island over the summer. The threads discussing these deaths are all remarkably the same. The diver was very experienced, had state of the art equipment, people talk about what might have happened but resolve nothing, they all end up agreeing it must have been a pre existing medical problem, you never end up hearing what really happened when the autopsy is done, someone always comes on to say he knew the diver and that diver knew it all. Bottom line as far as I am concerned, regardless of the details of a particular accident, if you panic you die.

There dose not seem to be a lot to be learned from these threads. I do not study them on a regular basis but did check out a few having to do with diver deaths off the east end of Long Island over the summer. The threads discussing these deaths are all remarkably the same. The diver was very experienced, had state of the art equipment, people talk about what might have happened but resolve nothing, they all end up agreeing it must have been a pre existing medical problem, you never end up hearing what really happened when the autopsy is done, someone always comes on to say he knew the diver and that diver knew it all. Bottom line as far as I am concerned, regardless of the details of a particular accident, if you panic you die.
There are many others unlike that. Maybe you missed them, or just didn't find them as helpful as some of us do.

I did see a couple of coroner's reports recently, found the A&I thread for one and added it, but it was old news I guess. Still, a lot can be learned by recreational divers from even the what-if discussions.

Last edited:
What I've learned from the Accident/Incidents forum is no one single problem causes the accidenet/incident, there are multiple failures....

You are responsible for your own safety! Do not expect others to save you.

Be able to swim before taking up SCUBA Diving.....

There are many others unlike that. Maybe you missed them, or just didn't find them as helpful as some of us do.

I did see a couple of coroner's reports recently, found the A&I thread for one and added it, but it was old news I guess. Still, a lot can be learned by recreational divers from even the what-if discussions.

Like I said I do not really study these things but I do sometimes look at the ones from my operating area. If people find them useful then thats great but I have yet to see a firm resolution to any of these.

What I've learned from the Accident/Incidents forum is no one single problem causes the accidenet/incident, there are multiple failures....

You are responsible for your own safety! Do not expect others to save you.

Be able to swim before taking up SCUBA Diving.....

+1 It is usually not the big problems that get you, most people know what they are and prepare for them. More often it is a couple small, seemingly unrelated problems that happen at the same time.

+1 It is usually not the big problems that get you, most people know what they are and prepare for them. More often it is a couple small, seemingly unrelated problems that happen at the same time.

. . . and the unpracticed skills do not come immediately to the fore . . . and the task loading snowballs into panic . . .

Stay Calm and breathe. I've been in 1 emergency with an equipment failure. Taking the time to relax before fixing the issue kept a bad situation from going nuclear.

Yeah you missed a big one.....Don't dive if you are an obese, out of shape, out of practice diver with cardiac problems...that is what probably kills most of the people.

A recent study ... cited in the Alert Diver I received over this past week-end ... stated that 41% of the accidents investigated were attributable to poor air management. In other words, people either ran out of air or ran low enough to have to abort the dive ... and did so in ways that resulted in an accident.

I'd be willing to bet that approximately 100% of those accidents were completely preventable ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

There is absolutely something to learn from those discussions ...

- people are remarkably good at denial
- many of us think we're better than we actually prove to be
- complacency kills
- "it can't happen to me" ... can

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom