What is your technique for catching lobster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, normally I approach slowly from the side.
Then I carefully observe its behaviour.
Then I point to the one I want and say, "Waiter, I'd like that one, please."

Never gone "bugging", but it looks as if it would be both fun and rewarding.

the K

Here in New England we use a lobsta poker. It's a straight pole 2.5 ft long with a 3 inch bend at the end at a 45 deg angle. We use the poker/tickle stick and tap the tail, the lobster will come out of his hole and make it easier to grab.

Commit, DO NOT HESITATE and grab quickly (better yet hesitate, lose the lobster, and I will catch it later) The poker can also be used to pin the lobster to the sea floor allowing you to grab it. The lobster snare ie lasso that tightens around the lobster doesn't work out here.
Buddy up. Distract the lobster, and allow your buddy to catch it from behind.

Sid

Wow, we got some hard core bug hunters here. Hey when I used to hunt in New England I always used the reach in and grab, if they clawed ya you got em, but with the spiny bug I use a net and a tickle stick as they drop legs so easily....and damn its so cool watching them shoot into the net. Thanks guys gonna have to book a trip to Fla. need to go bug hunting.

MDTzak could dive for bugs with me anytime. I use two lights, a powerful hand held light and my mask light. First of all, I go to locations where the visibility is not so great. When I spot a bug with my light, I am usually less than three feet away from it. I hit it with my big ligt and move it away from them. It seems to daze them momentarily. I use my mask light and immediately plunge on them and pin them to the bottom the side of a hole or whatever I can pin them to. It's hard to work your way down their feelers because they break off. Just be aggressive with them and pin em!!!

here in hawaii we just reach down or in and grab um kinda the same for tako (octopuss) except pin them with da 3 prong then bite between da eyes

We use a loop or a snare in S. Florida it is alot faster and alot less chance of losing them.

I just use a polespear. The paralyzer tips spread out & the lobster can't get off. Sometimes I'll just use a short speargun with a small barb.

Rubenesque:
I just use a polespear. The paralyzer tips spread out & the lobster can't get off. Sometimes I'll just use a short speargun with a small barb.
You must be in one of those rare places that allow spearing lobsters.

I make a snare out of a fiberglass rod and a thick monofilament leader. It is the best thing I have ever used.

T.

Back
Top Bottom