What is your technique for catching lobster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishb0y:
You must be in one of those rare places that allow spearing lobsters.

Used to get a lot of big lobster like that out of the Redondo breakwall. Now I'm residing in Hawaii & the pickings are definitely slimmer. I still get my fair share :14:

Rubenesque:
Now I'm residing in Hawaii & the pickings are definitely slimmer
Be careful, Hawaii is one of those places that spearing lobster is illegal. If you get caught, say goodbye to your dive gear.

the other day i grabbed both knuckles and he was wedged in there sooooo tight one broke off at the base:|

Slow and steady works. You can get them to get out of their holes by wiggling your fingers in front of them. I used to just grab them, then I moved to net and tickle stick, I'm now a fan of the noose. Whatever works, a few gentle taps on the back of their tail will get them out better than rush and grab.

We try to use alot of teamwork and prod them to eachother so we can either grab them or noose them. We typically do the following:

-Prod them into a position where they are cornered up and catch them with our hands.
-Prod them into the open and do a lightning quick snatch grab with my hands or noose them.
-Reach in and grab the base of the antennae.
-Prod them into a position where you can use the lobster noose.

If you buddy screws up then it is mandatory to remind him about it for the rest of the day :D

the key is to look like what lobsters like to eat:

other lobsters and crabs

dress up as one of these thigns, and watch the bugs run you over in their feeding frenzy

divedownunder:
wiggling your fingers infront of them ....are you serious?

These are the spiny lobster, not the clawed. Wiggling in front of the clawed ones might work, although it would be hard to tell who caught who.

In Texas my favorite technique is 1-800-LIVELOB.:crafty:

H2Andy:
the key is to look like what lobsters like to eat:

other lobsters and crabs

dress up as one of these thigns, and watch the bugs run you over in their feeding frenzy

Got any pictures of this? :D

Back
Top Bottom