What is your technique for catching lobster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueDolphin

Reaction score
Curious about some of the better techniques of catching lobster.

I dive off of California and we have spiny lobster here (no snappers!).

Someone told me the best way is to gently grab the long feelers and slowly work your way down to where these get very thick, then grab the mutha!

I wondered what some of you do to catch your lobbies.

Thanks

I generally go out after 10:00 pm, the later the better, as that is when the bugs come out of their holes to feed. When you spot one approach it from the front and aim just behind the tail, nine times out of ten they take off backwards and will jump into your grasp. ( the tenth time they will bounce off your chest and leave you feeling like a fool.) Pin them to the ground, then grab them firmly around the carapace from below so you can measure them. A light mounted gauge works best IMO. In daytime I approach from above the reef and try to grab the base of the feelers before they move.

For FL lobsters, I just reach in and grab them

Joe

i go for lobster at night in santa barbara. I've been going as soon as it gets dark. i use a big hand held light and a little mask mounted light, this is perfect. once you spot them drop the big light and sneek up on them . i usually come behind and get pretty close and grab them on the carapace as fast as possible with a firm grip. i havent missed one yet i just go hard and fast.

BlueDolphin:
Curious about some of the better techniques of catching lobster.

I dive off of California and we have spiny lobster here (no snappers!).

Someone told me the best way is to gently grab the long feelers and slowly work your way down to where these get very thick, then grab the mutha!

I wondered what some of you do to catch your lobbies.

Thanks

I don't know about the "grabbing the feeler technique". Did this guy tell you anything about hunting snipes too? :D If you touch the feelers they'll definitely be on alert and will likely jump away. To grab them you have to be fast and just grab the body. Here in Belize people use a big fish hook on a short pole and gently slide it under the lobster. Slowly turn it "hook up" and when he jumps backwards you hook him.

You can't be gentle with those babies. It takes being fast to get them.

I snag em while their still in the hole. (provided it's not too deep) pin the big bitey ow ow ow claw with my SPG and snap it out fast.,, real fast.

So jus reach in there and grab the suckers....eh? Cmon.... really?

BlueDolphin:
So jus reach in there and grab the suckers....eh? Cmon.... really?

In Florida, I'd say I catch about a third of my bugs by reaching in, grabbing the knuckles and pulling them out of the rocks.

Good idea to check the hole for eels first though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom