What is your technique for catching lobster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The best techinque is to pounce on the lobster. Don't try to grab it but pin it down if you see it out. That is what I was told is the best techinque for grabbing a lobster. We here in California can only use hands.

well for me i use a mop, i break the handle so its not to long. when i see them i point the light in there eyes and put the mop in twirl it around and they get tangeled up. then i grab them and put the whole thing in the goody bag and get my mop back out.

Ruadhán:
Never heard that 'mop' technique, but it sounds pretty cool. Might give it a go sometime. Normally i just pin and lift, mainly because i can't be bothered to carry anything whilst snorkeling.

Some people use panty hose on a stick, the bug's shell gets stuck in the nylon.

This is how we do it down here in South Florida

How to catch a lobster

Note tickle stick and "auto-snare" combo - some prefer the tickle stick /net combo.

Of course, in CA you will have to use only your the hands. Having spent 4 years there diving quite a bit, I have grabbed more lobster by hand than any other technique.

The drill is still the same. Approach them slowly and deliberately. Try to distract the eyes and antenna off to one side with one hand and grab them from behind with the other.

You will have more success by simply pinning them to the bottom rather than trying to snatch them up. Keep a firm grip on the center other their back (the carapace ) and get them in the bag tail first quickly before they break free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom