What is your favorite bag / luggage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got a Body Glove SC roller bag. It has an extension handle, wheels that work well on grass or dirt, two fin compartments (one of which will hold both of my SP Veloce's) and two main compartments (one for wet and one for dry). It works pretty well for me.

My wife and I each use an Aqua Lung Deep See Travelok 2000 for our checked luggage. Best bags we've ever owned. Large capacity, rigid body, two internal pockets, no external pockets to tempt baggage handlers except for a zippered envelope pocket we don't use when the bags are in the air, over-sized wheels, rubber bumpers on the corners, rubber feet on the bottom for stability and the pull handle extends incrementally to accomodate any preference.

The dual zippers are backed off the edge by about an inch for further protection and the whole bag locks down tight with a single lock looped through the zipper pulls and attached to a D-ring, which is then secured underneath a velcro flap. (We tossed the included padlocks and instead use TSA compatible combination/key locks.) There are large padded grip handles on the top, side and bottom to help with loading and unloading.

These bags are well-designed and well-built with rugged materials all the way around and easily hold all our dive gear and a whole lot more.

On the front of the bag there's a very small embroidered turtle that blends in with the rest of the bag and is actually kind of hard to make out. Otherwise, there's nothing to suggest that it's dive luggage but it's obviously a high-quality bag.

For our carry-on bags, we each use an Akona AKB 176 Carry-On with the optional reg bag. The latter is designed to fit in the former's lower external pocket, saving space internally for whatever else you bring on the plane, which in my case is a prescription mask, log book, headphones, sounddock and laptop, which slides into an internal padded sleeve. There's an upper external pocket for smaller stuff like my point and shoot camera, passport, sunglasses, pens and the like.

This setup has worked very well for us on many a dive vacation as well as just traveling in general. Most of my life I've been too cheap to buy quality luggage, but when I started diving I thought it was time to make the investment. The pain to my wallet is now a distant memory, and I must admit that I should have done this a long time ago.

Last edited:
I own the Cozumel Cruiser and it is one h*ll of a bag! Actually has real leather on it. Built to last a lifetime. Quality is A1! The inside has plenty of pockets and can be made into a single large bag or a bag with 2 smaller compartments (good for separating gear and clothes). All the zippers are extremely heavy duty... stainless I believe. It carried all my gear and never had a problem. You will reach the 50 lb limit before you fill the bag. The Cozumel Cruiser weighs only 11 lbs and also has backpack straps.

You probably can't go wrong with a Stalhsac bag. All I can say is that when my bag arrived, it was the first time I was ever impressed with a piece of luggage! These bags are built to take a beating and show up on the luggage belt in one piece. They are worth every penny.

Carry on: Oceanic AT4 and Aeris equivalent (so we can quickly identify each other's bag) roller carry on. Excellent for carry on. Will carry a complete warm water set up plus more. If your fins are large they strap to outside. Unfortunately no onlger offerd. Only cost $75.00 new.

I'm looking for a new gear bag, too. I want one that will fit everything..... complete set of gear (fins, BCS, wetsuit, boots, gloves, mask, the whole schebang) and still have room for enough clothes for 5 days. I would love to only take a backpack as my carry-on. Oh, I have a mesh bag with wheels that I take on the boat. It would be great if I could stuff that in there, too. It folds pretty flat. Any suggestions?

I was at the monthly get-together at our local dive shop and some friends told me about some bags they got at Costco for $40. I had mentioned to them that I wanted something lighter than the big Akona bag I've been using.

A few days later, I went to Costco and bought a 30 inch, split-case rolling duffel, made out of nylon, with nice roller wheels. It weighs 9.7 pounds when empty. It has a zipper that allows it to expand another 1.5 inches, a pocket for wet clothes, and a sturdy handle. During a "test" pack, I was easily able to get my BC, fins, spare mask, gloves, snorkel, wet-suit, Akona mesh gear bag, and an accessory bag inside it with room to spare for some clothes. Without any clothes in it, it weighed 32 pounds.

I'll give it a try next month on a trip to the Virgin Islands. Seems to be well constructed and the price is certainly right.

I'm looking for a new gear bag, too. I want one that will fit everything..... complete set of gear (fins, BCS, wetsuit, boots, gloves, mask, the whole schebang) and still have room for enough clothes for 5 days. I would love to only take a backpack as my carry-on. Oh, I have a mesh bag with wheels that I take on the boat. It would be great if I could stuff that in there, too. It folds pretty flat. Any suggestions?
You're only choice is the Akona carry-on. And you should buy the one I'm selling :wink:

Seriously, though, you could probably fit all your gear plus "some" clothes, but not enough for 5 days. This bag is maximum allowed size for a carry-on. For what you're looking for, the bag isn't the limit, the airline restrictions are. Also, keep in mind, you may have problems carrying some of your spare parts and tools aboard, even if they do fit. Apparently, even allen wrenches and the tiniest magnetic screw driver bit can no longer go in a carry-on.

Actually the reason I'm dumping my bag, is because I live on my boat. In the future, I'm planning on simply using my mesh gear bag as my carry on. Stores much better than a hard suitcase and it's one less thing to pack.

Cany920: Let me know how you like the duffel from Costco. Which one? The only split duffel I saw on their website is the ful 30" drop bottom rolling duffel. Is that it?

CEisenhauer:

I looked at the Costco website. That is not the same bag. I'm looking at the box that my bag came in. It says "30 inch split-case rolling duffel. Net weight of 9.7 pounds. 1680D Nylon construction." Our local Costco here in Las Vegas had plenty of them in stock. The SKU number (below the barcodes printed on the box) is 873116007139. The item number on the box is 429385. It expands, has a base section and a wet clothes pocket.

My dive friends each have one of these bags and they told me they have taken them to the Philippines and a three week trip to Australia. They said the bags have held up well.

Hope this helps. I'll let you know how they work when we return from our dive trip next month.

Back
Top Bottom