What is your favorite bag / luggage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just purchased a new Akona AKB144 Roller Backpack dive bag from the scuba show. It was $100 and included 10 free air fills. It was a pretty good deal considering the bag cots $250 online so I bought one as like most things it can be returned if I do not like it.
Looking at reviews, they were mixed, and the comments about its larger size stood out and worried me.

Are there any other owners of this bag and if so how do you like or dislike it?

Have you ever gotten hassled at their airport due to its larger size even when it was under the 50lbs?

Is it a pain to lug in taxis excreta?

How does the bag work for boat trips?

You bought that bag for a song. I paid $119, which was also a steal.

I have had No problems with airline check in, taxi, or lugging around. One down side is that it weighs 14lbs emptied. You have pack carefully so it doesn't exceed 50lbs check in limit.

The bag is OK for the price you and I paid, but I wouldn't call it durable, especially at full retail. The corners/outer edges are susceptible to wear. My bag has developed holes in those high-profile area with a couple of trips. This is guarantee to happen when it's been dragged through the tarmac enough by baggage handlers.

Also, the screws holding the telescope handle are prone to rust. So are the telescope hosing that's runs parallel inside the bag. If you nick/scrape off that black finish, it will rust like no tomorrow. In addition, the zipper broke on the regulator bag that came with my bag. I give this bag a neutral rating.

If the Pelican cases were as heavy, I would opt for one those any day of the week.

I like the Akona Roller Backpack Bag, although it is too heavy to be a back pack.

I bought a semi-mesh bag from my diver center back in 1992 - generic with the dive center logo - and it's still going strong.

What is your favorite bag / luggage? I was thinking of getting a AKONA SHERWOOD BOAT MESH ROLLER. I have a AERIS TRAVEL ROLLER BAG and it is terrible. It does not have an extention handel so it is very hard to move around airports. It always bangs into your legs as you walk with it. The fin pocket is also a little too small.

This is a letter that I recently wrote to Armor:

Hello,

My name is Matt King and I purchased an Armor bag from Reefseekers diving Company in June of 1998. I was on tour at the time and needed a good bag. I traveled through 38 of the 50 states over 2 years lugging all my possessions stuffed in my Armor suitcase. Since then the bag has been all across Europe, Belize, and South America, it has been to beaches, rivers, and swamps. It has seen me through my wedding, my honeymoon and was the bag that I packed for the birth of my child. I has served me perfectly for twelve years, and as of the trip I just got back from, has just had it's first problem with a sticking zipper and a snapped zipper tongue. I don't know if you can replace the zippers, or even have replacement parts for a 12 year old bag, but in any case I thought I would thank you for making such a brilliant, durable product. In an environment of planned obsolescence and cheap products that wear out, it is wonderful to have something that could last another 12 years of hard use (at least). Best to you, and thank you again.

Barbra picked us up a couple of these on sale at kohl's.

sale$100.00-$120.00 Reg $200-$240.00

High Sierra® AT3 Sierra-Lite Wheeled Drop-Bottom Duffel Bag.

High Sierra AT3 Sierra-Lite Wheeled Drop-Bottom Duffel Bag

We took them to ST Thomas and they worked great.

The bottom pocket holds all the dive gear (Mask, fins, wetsuit, BC) and the top pockets hold the clothes, shoes, shaving kit etc..

The bags roll well even loaded up to 49 LBS.

The also can be worn as a backpack if needed.

David

I have had outstanding performance from the Jansport "SuperBreak" line of luggage. I two 24" expandable uprights: one for dive gear and the other for clothes, etc. They are guaranteed for LIFE! They are sturdy but lightweight (only 8 lbs. 11 oz. empty). I've taken these on numerous dive trips all over the world for years and they are so far indestructible. I use the outside pockets for things like flip-flops, sandals, and shorts (so I can change right away when I get to a warm place), magazines, plastic bags, umbrella/poncho, etc. The expandable zipper lets you bring home lots of souvenirs without an extra bag. One of these, fully-loaded with reg, mask, fins (long Mares Quattro), snorkel, save-a-dive kit, 4 mm full wetsuit, hood, dive skin, knife, camera weights, mesh dive bag, etc.etc. (all dive gear needed) weighs 46 lbs. Basically it's just a big box inside with one inside zippered pocket.

The cool thing is they come in different colors and patterns. Mine are b/w camo and easy to spot in baggage claim, PLUS, airline crews see 2 of them and KNOW they belong together! No left behind or lost luggage. They always come out together on the baggage carousel or carts. I was toying with the idea of buying the 25" Superbreak Footlocker for dive gear instead (ONLY because they'd accommodate my fins a bit better without bending them a bit), and the compression straps, but hey, my current bags still work great (just got back from 2.5 weeks traveling around Indonesia) and the b/w camo pattern is no longer made. So I'll stick with what I have. If/when they break down, I'll have them replaced with the guarantee. No worries. Jansport makes great stuff. I got these on sale at JCPenney about 5 or 6 years ago for $89.50 each.

I am also looking for a new dive bag to check. reason = killed two in the last 3 years. Both same brand, same bag. #1, wheels fells of on the way home from second trip, manufacturer sent parts and I fixed, next rip, bottom blew out. Manufacturer replaced bag, 2 trips later, bottom is wearing thru again. I have a strong tendency to agree with the comments that bags sold by dive companies are not that great - not a core product.

I am going to check out the REI Tech Beast. Reviews are good. Might a be a little large tho.

the hard side luggage option is intriguing as well. I will need to research it.

If there are any other ideas - non scuba company luggage - post them.

You don't actually suck the air out. The bag seals like a ziplock (only much sturdier) then has a one-way valve at the other end. You lie on it and PUSH the air out, and it can't get back in. Makes a pretty compact package. We've used this for my wife's homemade fleece dive coat (though she usually prefers to wear it on the plane).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom