What is wrong with this requalification (aka hydro)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scared Silly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In an effort to educate folks I am posting up this flea-bay auction. I feel bad for whomever bought these cylinders. Yeah they are made from the infamous AL6351 alloy but to add insult to injury the hydro stamping is not correct:

Doubles Scuba Tanks 50CF with Manafold | eBay

The complete hydro tests may well have been performed but the stamping does not reflect it. There is another problem as well. Had these cylinders been presented to me for a fill I would decline to do so. Further, I would not even do an scuba cylinder inspection. Instead, I would send them back to the shop that did the requalification.

Before posting up the issues I will let SB members post up what they think are the issues. If you are a cylinder inspector, work in the dive industry, or really know your cylinders please let others chime in first. I will give folks a couple of days to see what they come up with.

Note: in an effort of fairness I did send the hydro shop RIN H104 J&T Dive Shop with my concerns. I did not hear back.

I guess someone took notice, the auction is pulled. Did you screenshot the picture? Too bad, I'd love a set of al-50's.

Edit. Found them. But I'd rather have scuba cylinders than SCBA cylinders. With a VE stamp.

I guess someone took notice, the auction is pulled. Did you screenshot the picture? Too bad, I'd love a set of al-50's.
strange ... the link still works for me. It just says the bidding has ended.

[-]In case it goes away, this seems to be an image of interest:[/-]

Last edited:
In case it goes away, this seems to be an image of interest

FWIW, I purposely did not link the photos as to respect the copyright. I have sent an email to the person who ran the auction to use them.

As noted there is more than one issue. As such, folks should look at all of the relevant cylinder markings.

Edit. Found them. But I'd rather have scuba cylinders than SCBA cylinders. With a VE stamp.
I'm gonna go with this, which I didn't know about until seeing this. But I don't get the SCBA part.

In July of 1982, the DOT and CTC granted 3AL status to certain special permit and exemption cylinders, including scuba cylinders made by both Luxfer (SP6498, E6498) and Kidde SP7042, E7042). North American hydro retester's are required to apply a stamp 3AL mark above the allowed cylinder exemption and SP numbers. Those cylinders are technically illegal and should not be filled until that mark has been applied. Many retester's' have failed in their responsibility to both apply the mark and apply it only to eligible aluminum cylinders.

I would not have notice anything wrong. subscribe to learn the proper marking

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom