What is too much safety !!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, Doc, I know, I know......it's plusdoublegood stroketastic, and has almost but not quite been usurped by the video deepnut spearo looking to the heavens photo, but still, where's it from and who is it? :wink:

is this too much?

I know Tony and the kind of diving he does. The answer is no.

well done max. i didn't think i could be outdone but you win!

You are making fun?

Tony Grogan is an accomplished solo diver who works typically beyond 200ft. You can find him on Spearboard and in Spearfishing Magazine as he owns them both. I also find out a few minutes ago he will be featured in a televised special in the future.

Tony Grogan is an accomplished solo diver who works typically beyond 200ft.

You really shouldnt confuse "accomplished" with "does". Just because he does dives to that depths certainly doesn't mean his gear is optimal, well thought out or indeed that safe. Nor his diving practices (read elsewhere, decostop and other places about his incidents with the frankly ridiculous actions to problems etc).

How well do you know him?

I'm a frequent solo diver who has a few dives below 200'. I used the same gear as I have when making shallow, recreational dives. I'm definately not DIR, but I agree with the saying,"If you don't need it, don't take it with you." Unless you're planning a 700' dive, there is never a need to bury yourself in that much gear.

When you have so many backup regulators and pony bottles that you have a risk of drowning from being entangled in the hoses. lol

Tony Grogan is an accomplished solo diver who works typically beyond 200ft. You can find him on Spearboard and in Spearfishing Magazine as he owns them both. I also find out a few minutes ago he will be featured in a televised special in the future.

From what I read on spearboard and decostop he once headed for the surface from more than 256 ft (using his BC) at 143 FPM after his backgas started freeflowing, saying that his training taught him to do this. Now I'm not trimix trained, just deco trained, but that seems like a bad plan. Shut down the freeflow and switch to your backup, not shoot for the surface.

Rapid Ascent - Missed Deco Problem - Spearboard Spearfishing Community
The Deco Stop

The main criticism of his diving seems to come from those who are trimix divers and find his dive plans and promotion of them irresponsible.

YMMV

From what I read on spearboard and decostop he once headed for the surface from more than 256 ft (using his BC) at 143 FPM after his backgas started freeflowing, saying that his training taught him to do this. Now I'm not trimix trained, just deco trained, but that seems like a bad plan. Shut down the freeflow and switch to your backup, not shoot for the surface.

Rapid Ascent - Missed Deco Problem - Spearboard Spearfishing Community
The Deco Stop

The main criticism of his diving seems to come from those who are trimix divers and find his dive plans and promotion of them irresponsible.

YMMV

these threads are priceless, thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom