What is too much safety !!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The shaker is not for signaling my buddy ( I make sure he's/she's right next to me !! ) but if I ever have to signal the DM in charge of the dive.:D

I'd ditch the shaker and the pony, and keep the buddy.

The DM can watch me or not as he wishes, but he doesn't have anything I want so there's really no need to signal him.

My preferred buddy signaling method is to poke him in the side. :D

Terry

From what I read on spearboard and decostop he once headed for the surface from more than 256 ft (using his BC) at 143 FPM after his backgas started freeflowing, saying that his training taught him to do this. Now I'm not trimix trained, just deco trained, but that seems like a bad plan. Shut down the freeflow and switch to your backup, not shoot for the surface.

Rapid Ascent - Missed Deco Problem - Spearboard Spearfishing Community
The Deco Stop

The main criticism of his diving seems to come from those who are trimix divers and find his dive plans and promotion of them irresponsible.

YMMV

never saw those threads.

To much safety is staying out of the water. If you know the equipment you dive with, and have a rational for it, it's not to much. (although I think Orange Diver's double spear is excessive safety equipment. If you have to shoot your buddy to get his attention, and you can't get him in one shot, somebody has poor buddy skills.)

I dive with:
7' hose
13 cu pony
SMB if on a boat
1 knife
2 lights if at night
whistle
back up lobster gauge

I usually to dive the same configuration regardless of the type of dive; it's easier to remember that way. Travel diving is different, of course.

To much safety is staying out of the water. ...

I agree. I have worked with some safety "professionals" who expect everything to done such that there is no risk, but they fail to acknowledge that all activities involve some risk. For me, I'd love for the the chance of injury to be less in the water than in the car getting to the dive site.

You should carry a minimal amount of gear (and training ) that (1) is considered prudent by a normal, reasonable diver in that situation, (2) provides you confidence that you can deal with possible risks during that dive, and (3) does not burden you with unnecessary risk.

Naturally, all three can lead different equipment in different environments, but so long as you have enough gear to satisfy (1) and (2) without breaking (3), you should both be as prepared as a reasonable person would be and have your own mind at ease.

Since I'm not feeling like going to sleep yet, I'll give an example,

For an open water dive to 50 feet in some current,

(1) reasonable diver may bring standard scuba gear, a SMB, a knife, and a whistle.
(2) perhaps you are concerned about getting lost at sea and you choose to bring a small marine radio in a watertight case
(3) as long as these items are stored properly they shouldn't be a burden.

To much safety is staying out of the water. If you know the equipment you dive with, and have a rational for it, it's not to much. (although I think Orange Diver's double spear is excessive safety equipment. If you have to shoot your buddy to get his attention, and you can't get him in one shot, somebody has poor buddy skills.)

that's WHY i have a double speargun. :D

I think Orange Diver's double spear is excessive safety equipment. If you have to shoot your buddy to get his attention, and you can't get him in one shot, somebody has poor buddy skills

Heh :)

He then had me thinking. I asked my instructor at my LDS the question and he gave me a very good answer.

Personally I believe in the simple practice of 'right tool set for the job'... don't take more than the dive requires... Baseline for me is the basics... two safety devices (one visual... one audable... get good ones...)... cutting device... (knife for one... second cutting device if you like redundancy)... buddy of quality... compass...

Beyond that... it depends on the dive. Different dives require different gear. I do like to keep a small slate in my BC pocket in case I have to communicate with somebody who doesn't parlay *underwater speak*... and as Walter put it... a buddy line DOES have 1001 uses... although I've only discovered about a dozen of them so far... )

... and I agree with all... ditch the shaker. If you MUST make noise... your dive knife banged against your tank *can* work...

Hadn't thought of the spare lobster gauge... gonna' have to consider adding that...

Interestingly... TOO much stuff can create confustion in a time of stress... and confusion can magnify the problem. Sometimes simpler is safer...

my two psi...

9. Considered buying a Rescue Streamer see: RescueStreamerŽ® ( ...again, a surface signaling device)

Scratch that. When I hike I carry a roll of caution tape. Much cheaper, bright yellow, rolls up nice and compact, and its cheap. It also deploys in seconds and you can carry much more of it than those streamers come in. Wrap it around a dowel cut to size, secure with rubber bands and stuff it in a pocket. If you need it you can grab the tag end and toss the roll, then tie it off to you. Quick and easy.
AND any pre-teen kids you may know will love to put some on their bedroom door.:D

I don't see why it wouldn't work in a diving application too...

A spare lobster gauge can save you a hefty fine if you lose one while holding bugs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom