What is too much safety !!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My safety gear includes: My common sense, side slung pony, sausage, whistle, two cutting tools (knife and shears) and a B/U flashlight. I also have a compass (is it safety gear or just standard gear?) and for deeper dives I might carry a b/u mask in my drysuit pocket.

I don't know if a long hose counts as safety gear (per se) as much as just a different regulator configuration. I use a 5' primary with bungied B/U myself.

5' is more like a training length. With a DPV that does not give you a lot of room to work with in sharing air.

I never dive without a b/u mask. Too many people have tried to kick my mask off. And once it got stepped on in the boat and broke and leaked during the dive.

If you need a light, then you need 2 lights. I always carry two or none.

I don't see much use for a pony, unless you have filled it with EAN50 and are using it to clean up the N2 in your blood prior to surfacing.

By whistle, I hope you mean a DiveAlert LP hose horn, and not a cheap plastic thingie.

Two cutting tools is an extremely safe and good idea although I only do 2 when I plan to do deco.:)

That's 2 against the shaker.

85% of my diving is done while on vacation in the Carribean, and usually dive in group of 10 divers or so.

The shaker is not for signaling my buddy ( I make sure he's/she's right next to me !! ) but if I ever have to signal the DM in charge of the dive.:D

:shakehead: I'm not shaker happy

3 against the shaker.:)

You don't want to know, Saspotato. It's a really dumb idea. Even more useless than a plastic whistle.:)

:rofl3: Ok. I found out what it was on google in the end. I have *never* seen one of them before! Not even in shops...

I believe that now makes 4 for "lose the shaker." :)

I can't believe I'm agreeing with nereas, but yeah - lose the shaker.

Much like beauty is in the eye of the beholder, x amount of safety may be too much for some and not enough for others. Each has to decide on his or her own for the particular dive being done.

Even more useless than a plastic whistle.:)

You obviously haven't heard a Storm Whistle!! Tried mine out on a dive in Indonesia when the dive boat was a loooong way away - they heard it really clearly. Downside was my buddy clutching her ears because it was so loud it hurt!

You obviously haven't heard a Storm Whistle!! Tried mine out on a dive in Indonesia when the dive boat was a loooong way away - they heard it really clearly. Downside was my buddy clutching her ears because it was so loud it hurt!

You really don't want to bet your life on these things.

Get a simple DiveAlert for $50 bucks US.

Really, it doesn't matter how many small items you take with you, if you have a streamlined and orderly way to stow them. For boat diving, I always have an SMB and spool, and frequently a DiveAlert (in my pocket, not installed), and often a mirror. I can't argue with a noisemaker if diving clear, sunlit water, as it is sometimes very difficult to get anyone's attention any other way -- However, I haven't found making noise to be terribly effective, either. This is why I think buddy separation distance ought to be DECREASED in clear water, rather than the usual tendency to the reverse.

I do think the long hose and pony bottle are an odd combination, as generally people who carry a pony hand off THAT reg (and the bottle, if it's set up to do so). But I guess you could argue that you are arranging your own self-rescue and retaining the "donate the primary" concept.

Again, if it's all streamlined and orderly, and nothing gets in the way of anything else, and you know how to use all of it, it doesn't seem like overkill to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom