What is too much safety !!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another vote for no shakers. I'd trade it for a blown out o-ring.

I can make more noise clapping my hands than I can with a shaker, so if I need to get someone's attention I just do that. I take the usual multiple cutters, sausage, spool, whistle. I have a DAN tag on my gear that can double as a signal mirror. I prefer to use a pony than rely on someone else or doing a CESA.

Nothing is more annoying than hearing those shakers. I agree, lose the shaker.

That's 2 against the shaker.

Make that 3. A creation straight from Satan. Words can't begin to describe how annoying i find those. Even if im guiding i do NOT want someone with one of those.

They should be banned.

5' is more like a training length. With a DPV that does not give you a lot of room to work with in sharing air.

What is a "training" hose. I train with the same gear I dive. I choose a 5' hose because I like the primary/bungied b/u configuration but don't need 7' as I don't do penetrations. It's an acceptable method. Why have more hose than you need and.. who said anything about a DPV?

TSM, you are right. I sling a pony for self rescue.

I never dive without a b/u mask.

I do or don't on shallow dives. If I lose a mask I'll just surface. On deeper dives I do because I want to solve the problem, in place.

If you need a light, then you need 2 lights.
Why? It's just for emergencies, signaling, etc... in my case. If I feel the dive requires a primary light I'll carry that. Two b/u lights for a recreational dive is redundant redundancy.

I don't see much use for a pony, unless you have filled it with EAN50 and are using it to clean up the N2 in your blood prior to surfacing.
??? delusional???

By whistle, I hope you mean a DiveAlert LP hose horn, and not a cheap plastic thingie.
What do you do when your tank runs out of gas? Do you carry a b/u for that?

Two cutting tools is an extremely safe and good idea although I only do 2 when I plan to do deco.:)
What does going into deco have to do with needing two knives? If I only buddy dive I guess I could use one (my buddies would be the redundancy) but for self rescue I carry two. They don't drag me down that much.

Why don't you just describe your own set up instead of critiquing others. I don't believe anyone asked for that.

What is a "training" hose.

There isn't such a thing. He's just inventing phrases againt. A 5ft hose is used where there is no overhead environment or scooter needed where a 7ft isnt needed. Its not a "training hose" - its an open water "long hose"

If I lose a mask I'll just surface. On deeper dives I do because I want to solve the problem, in place.

You can really read your time, depth and hold stops with no mask ?!

My wife and I dive the following

Me: Dive alert, Storm Whistle, 4 foot hose on Octopus, Jon Line, SMB and Thumb Reel, 2 computers, Marine band Radio with GPS and emergency strobe beacon in a McMurdo dive canister attached to tank strap.
Wife: Dive alert, Storm Whistle, 4 foot hose on Octopus, Jon Line, SMB and Thumb Reel, 2 computers, Chem Lights, Signal Mirror, 4X4 silver Space Blanket, dye marker in an Otter Box attached to tank strap.

What is too much safety/back up gear for no-deco recreational diving, and where do we stop ?
Divers doing long drift dives off charter boats in Fiji would be well advised to carry EPIRBs. In fact, divers diving off charter boats in extremely remote locations anywhere, especially with currents, should consider EPIRBs.

Diver's who are not in those circumstances need not worry about them. But they may need other items, such as floating dive flags, if they are diving in an area where boaters and personal watercraft are common.

Dive safety gear that is wise to have with you is going to vary depending on where you're diving.

The best approach may be to think out the potential problems that may occur where you're diving, and consider what the optimal response would be in each case.

Then only take with you the gear you need on each dive. Don't take gear you DON'T need.

While having a standard rig that you're familiar with is a good idea, "diving" as an activity is too varied for any "one size fits all" safety solution.

The newbie nimrod on the boat who asked you about your safety equipment sounds like exactly the type of diver who gets themselves into trouble, without having put the slightest amount of effort into preparing to get themselves out of it. You can always recognize this type. A small group of divers find themselves at a disadvantage, and they're the diver going "Oh Crap! Whatrwe gonna do now?"

Good on you for taking the time to explain it all to them.

Their response suggests you wasted your breath, but you never know...

:)

From another thread....

I took to Palau:

1. Small flashlight - for looking in crevices and for emergency use too.

2. Strobe - Tektite 200c ( Princeton Tec is good too)

3. Mirror - I like the glass ones... much better reflection of sunlight. Maintain their "flatness".

4. Storm whistle. Surface signal if I am out of pressurized air. (note Dive Alert fails at pressure <300 PSI)

5. Dive Alert - pressurized signaling device. Surface signal only.

6. SMB - Hollis Brand: robust with OPV and excellent construction

7. Spool - finger style

8. OMS Dye - Air search application

9. Considered buying a Rescue Streamer see: RescueStreamer® ( ...again, a surface signaling device)

10. 2 computers : Wrist mount and an AI mount

11. One small 12 hour rated Chem Lite with lanyard. Use the lanyard to swing it around in a circle. Much more noticeable.

12. One small knife and shears.

13. The rattler is about 2-3 inches big ... so who cares if you bring it? I myself do not carry one.

14. Writing slate. How else can I communicate much beyond, up/down, look here, out-of-air and flipping my buddy the bird?

I hope I do not sound too compulsive about this issue, but I have a 2 year old boy who needs me and I just did not want to leave out any reasonably priced option. I don't care what other divers think of my precautions, as one thoughtful SB member stated - to paraphrase - ... with all my extra signaling gear, I expect to be very popular if I am with a group of divers lost at sea...

I also dive with an attached 6cft pony. It cannot be detached and handed off. It is for my use only. I dive under the assumption that I am ultimately responsible for myself, my buddy is a useful option, but an option that cannot always be depended upon. He may be busy looking into a hole or staring off into the blue at a shark. We could be separated by current or equipment failure that would have one surface separately. I want my own system of redundancy period.
I got some interesting looks by some German divers on my Palau trip. I could give a "Sheet" what they think. If I died due to an out-of-air emergency ( ... NOT ALWAYS DUE TO LACK OF DIVER ATTENTION, I might add), trust me, all those divers who snickered at me would not even know my first name let alone offer to be responsible for my family's expenses. Finally, I do use an Octo for the safety benefit of a dive buddy.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom