What is the line you draw for patronage of a shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the whole 'The Manufacturer Doesn't let me" aspect of this post, and please correct me if I am wrong (without flaming), doesn't Scuba Pro and/or Aqualung keep a VERY tight leash on who is allowed to have their service kits? I could have sworn that some people who service their own SP regs would say how they got 'secret' suppliers, yet don't mention the names, or refer to EBay for some.

While the mfgr may "unofficially" restrict parts sale (it does not appear to be restricted in the signed dealer agreement) it is the retailer who has the final control in the USA. Few retailers will sell parts yet many parts are frequently available on sites like ebay. In other countries, such refusal to sell repair parts is in violation of consumer protection laws. Unfortunately, at least Scubapro has been successful in stopping online sale from European dealers to USA customers.

Wow, thanks for the input folks. I've seen a lot of threads/posts about what people like and don't like about shops and this one has turned out to be more or less the same... no surprise there I guess.

To those commenting on the service parts, yes I know I can not buy kits as an end user. I also know that both of the kits I was looking for are available (or could be assembled from individual parts quickly and cheaply) and the manufacturers of the regs are out of business. There is no manufacturer backing up that claim that they're not allowed to sell the kits because the manufacturer says so. That said, I didn't expect any of my local shops to sell me full kits, even for those regs. I don't want them telling me that I can't service perfectly functional gear that they won't service themselves, however. I get that the shops have liability concerns and I don't want them doing something that could feasibly get them put out of business by lawsuits, but telling me the manufacturer doesn't allow it when I've told you the gear is from a defunct manufacturer is just silly.

I've found places I can buy parts or kits and I've serviced the gear myself, but it would be much easier to do so if I could buy locally, which I actually try to do when it's feasible.

I'm not disagreeing that in this instance it's stupid, but sitting on the other side of the fence it might just be easier to have one blanket rule. as you said the parts can be sourced (how many parts in a service kit are propitiatory anyway?)... i don't think it's a massive disservice in having a flat rule on service kits, defunct manufacturer or not.

If you introduce a loyalty card, don't remove the customers' right to use it. They are very likely to go elsewhere when their loyalty is shat upon.

Feel free to tell me
'we had a fallout with that dive op/ or that dive op no longer exists therefore we don't except those cards any more, but here, this is our current one, you can still get your 10%, thanks for sticking with us'

But don't tell me
'we no longer except that loyalty, how old is that? woh! we don't take any loyalty cards now but our prices are competative'

I'm 26, and have had the loyalty card since I was 15. Can't remember when they stopped accepting it, but it was a while back, which stopped me shopping there for some time... (hence why I can't remember the year)
Then I needed gear last year, quite a lot of gear, and had such a rubbish sales experience that I haven't been back.

Nic

I'm not disagreeing that in this instance it's stupid, but sitting on the other side of the fence it might just be easier to have one blanket rule. as you said the parts can be sourced (how many parts in a service kit are propitiatory anyway?)... i don't think it's a massive disservice in having a flat rule on service kits, defunct manufacturer or not.
Yes, but a blanket rule at the shop level is an entirely different thing and understandable for different reasons. It's also not a blatant lie, which most consumers (me included) don't like.

Oh, another one,

If you dress a display model in particular kit, which I happen to want to purchase, ensure that
a) you stock it... you can be out of stock, but at least stock it
b) you don't tell me that that rig is dangerous...

...it was a single webbing harness with separate crotch strap...no quick releases etc

I should also add

c) If, before finding out a) and b) I am mis sold the product (most likely accidently, and due to confusion when ordering via email), please let me return it without any fuss.
It was an easy mistake to sell me the quick release harness instead of the single piece,
You don't sell what I'm after, and can't order it in time even if it was safe enough to dive/order
I just bought quite a few bits of kit from your store, and had hoped to buy more (but you didn't stock everything on my list), so don't treat me as if I am ripping you off and taking the piss by returning a piece of webbing and a crotch strap.
I am trying to return the item <5mins after purchse, after opening the packet in the car, It has not been pulled apart, packaging destroyed, missing a receipt... I was just there, in your shop, trying to buy lots of stuff!
I was repeatedly bull****ted by your staff, and I still bought lots of stuff!

Thank you to the one helpful staff member that particular day. You did not go unnoticed, but were not enough to redeem the store.
All you had to do was listen to what I was after and why, and offer your honest, relaxed, knowledgeable assistence... so thanks for doing that

Nic

Last edited:
If I ask about a line you don't carry, tell me about it honestly. You may not get that sale, but I'll come back for others.

If I say I don't need the text book I DON"T NEED THE DAMN BOOK. Books are easy to borrow, and I like the trees where they are to begin with. Don't tell me I'm "required to own my own so I can write in the answers to questions". Like really?

Like Pan said - if I mispronounce something, don't correct me in a way that makes me out to be a fool, especially in front of others.

Don't try and play me for a fool on a subject I'm ignorant to. I will find out, I DO have the internets after all.

Don't tell me you're giving me a steal of a price when you're knocking down the price to MRSP.

I will only buy small inexpensive stuff from shops now. Like defogger, snaps etc. I've gone to the net for the rest. I'll go to the shop for tank rentals and air and continuing education. They cut off their nose despite their face.

If I ask about a line you don't carry, tell me about it honestly. You may not get that sale, but I'll come back for others.

If I say I don't need the text book I DON"T NEED THE DAMN BOOK. Books are easy to borrow, and I like the trees where they are to begin with. Don't tell me I'm "required to own my own so I can write in the answers to questions". Like really?

Like Pan said - if I mispronounce something, don't correct me in a way that makes me out to be a fool, especially in front of others.

Don't try and play me for a fool on a subject I'm ignorant to. I will find out, I DO have the internets after all.

Don't tell me you're giving me a steal of a price when you're knocking down the price to MRSP.

I will only buy small inexpensive stuff from shops now. Like defogger, snaps etc. I've gone to the net for the rest. I'll go to the shop for tank rentals and air and continuing education. They cut off their nose despite their face.

It used to be a requirement for us(PADI instructors) to keep the knowledge views. Therefore we would have to have every student have a book. Trust me, I think it's dumb but IMO its a way for PADI to continue to make money. Especially when someone has to pay 50 for an enriched air book that is about a quarter if not less of the thickness of an open water book which costs 60. Plus the open water book comes with a log book, another book (computer diving), and a handy dandy blue zippered folder.

I'm all about saving trees, however pricing the class such that you can get it cheaper without the book results in some students forgoing the book when they probably shouldn't.

Perhaps an electronic version at a small discount (the cost of the book itself, which I am guessing is probably no more than $10). Then you are only paying for the content, the agency has the same profit margin, and you save a tree.

I like a local shop that has people on site that are knowlegable about the products they sell, and who have used the product in diving. I like a competitive price, and I want to know the item can be serviced where i bought it. I like to be attend to without being pressured. I like to be shown all options to meet my needs, not just the most expensive. I like a shop that maintains good inventory rather than just ordering things for me. And, I want the shop to welcome me whether or not I am a "regular." There are about a dozen shops within 15 miles of my home. I have my "home" LDS, but they don't always carry what I need. Of the other stores I have been in, and I have been in all of them, two meet all my criteria. The rest are rather "clanny," in that if you aren't a regular and loyal customer, they are less than cordial. I do not understand that at all. My dollars are the same as their captive customers.
DivemasterDennis

I like a local shop that has people on site that are knowlegable about the products they sell, and who have used the product in diving. I like a competitive price, and I want to know the item can be serviced where i bought it. I like to be attend to without being pressured. I like to be shown all options to meet my needs, not just the most expensive. I like a shop that maintains good inventory rather than just ordering things for me. And, I want the shop to welcome me whether or not I am a "regular." There are about a dozen shops within 15 miles of my home. I have my "home" LDS, but they don't always carry what I need. Of the other stores I have been in, and I have been in all of them, two meet all my criteria. The rest are rather "clanny," in that if you aren't a regular and loyal customer, they are less than cordial. I do not understand that at all. My dollars are the same as their captive customers.
DivemasterDennis

I don't understand that either, especially since their "captive customers" probably expect (and get) discounts, making your dollars more profitable :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom