What is the best Solution to warm yourself?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Freewillow

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just came back from Anilao where the temperature of the water was not what I expected: 24° C ( 75°F).
We have been diving there 2 to 3 times a day for 10+ consecutive days. I was wearing a MAres Fexa wetsuit ( 5/4/3 mm ) and I was still cold, especially on the second or third dive of 70 to 80 minutes.

I know that I am extremelly suceptible to cold water. Even my old 2 mm Aqualung undervest was not doing any good.

So my quetion is the following:

What do you guys advise: over or under vest?. Short or complete? Brand/Thickness......... Please help.

Thank you

Last edited:
Cold is cumulative and diving for that many days several times a day adds up without giving your body the chance to recover. I'd consider a semi-dry wetsuit with hood and/or a 2-4mm under-vest with attached hood.

Last edited:
yep, I had a hood, especially after 4 days of diving. I agree the accumulation of dives makes a HUGE difference. Do you think that a 24 hours stop would make a significant difference?

When it comes to undervests, I only found 1 to 3mm hundervest. Any reference to something thicker like a 4mm or something more efficient than neoprene like sharkskin, lavacore...............or is this some Marketing B.S?

Do you think that a 24 hours stop would make a significant difference?

It will probably make some difference but do you want to stop diving in such very far away destination? :) I'd concentrate on a better thermal protection solution than limit my diving.

When it comes to undervests, I only found 1 to 3mm hundervest. Any reference to something thicker like a 4mm or something more efficient than neoprene like sharkskin, lavacore...............or is this some Marketing B.S?

I'd get an under-vest with attached hood. I believe that a semi-dry wetsuit with an appropriate hood is the way to go.

Since you are in Brussels, I'd check with "Time to Dive" dive center there. I believe that they are a good operation and have suits that would address your issue.

Last edited:
Might be a bit overkill but have you considered a drysuit?

I don't think it would be overkill at all. All that matters is comfort, and cold is not comfortable!

Drysuit, overkill for the few occasions that I would need it. Most of the time, the waters that I am diving in is 26°C or higher.

Back
Top Bottom