What is the best Solution to warm yourself?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't help with what you wear since I have the same problem you do and had to resort to a drysuit. There is no amount of neoprene that would keep me warm in water at that temp for one dive, let alone for repetitive diving over several days.

Whatever you end up with for exposure protection, bear in mind that you do indeed lose core temp across days of repeated time in the water. It helps to do whatever you can to preserve/restore your warmth between dives, like bundle up in nice dry fleece and stay out of the breeze, drink warm tea, etc. It actually makes a difference that you can feel.

...//... There is no amount of neoprene that would keep me warm in water at that temp for one dive, let alone for repetitive diving over several days. ...//...
I'm not so sure about that.

We did some training dives together in the past and I think that I understand your level of cold tolerance. I agree that gear is half the battle, but nutrition is (the all too often ignored) other half.

Many of us are comfortable in our local 40-60F waters. We plan for that: The Right Way to Carbo-load Before a Race. In addition, I've been known to bring along glucose tablets for a quick fix.

Drysuit, overkill for the few occasions that I would need it. Most of the time, the waters that I am diving in is 26°C or higher.

Well then, I don't know what to tell you. If you are not warm in what you have then you need something warmer.

If you just need a bit more warmth, these can dfo the trick. I have used the small size with w 5mm full suit and 3mm hooded vest and they got me through 5 dives in 65 degrees. BUT they only providd heat for about 30 minutes and you can not have them in direct contact with your body. Larger sizs should lastr a bit longer.
For multiple uses, you need a pot of boiling water to recharge them.

They are nice in a pinch, but the long term solution is better protection.

Sorry. Reusable Heat Packs-Quantum Heat Packs

Last edited by a moderator:
If you just need a bit more warmth, these can dfo the trick. I have used the small size with w 5mm full suit and 3mm hooded vest and they got me through 5 dives in 65 degrees. ................ you can not have them in direct contact with your body. ...........................

For multiple uses, you need a pot of boiling water to recharge them.

They are nice in a pinch, but the long term solution is better protection.

Sounds interesting but a web link or a name and a picture would help.:)

Thank you

90% of the dives were between 10 and 20 meters. So very shallow. The problem was that for muck diving and photography, you move very little and with the reduced depth, one could stay easely 80 minutes and more underwater.

90% of the dives were between 10 and 20 meters. So very shallow. The problem was that for muck diving and photography, you move very little and with the reduced depth, one could stay easely 80 minutes and more underwater.

I know about not moving and getting cold when doing photo. At 20 meters, the suit is about 1/2 the thickness of what it was at the surface. If you also stay long time, you are going down a thermal hill with several dives a day over several days. Perhaps at least a semi-dry suit with hood.

A follow up to regarding the hood, the question I ask is which hood? Now probably overkill for those waters, but for cold water, this is what I have found to be the best hood: Spyder Hood K01 5mm/8mm - Deepstop GmbH

Drysuit, overkill for the few occasions that I would need it. Most of the time, the waters that I am diving in is 26°C or higher.
Possibly not. I did a trip several years ago on a live aboard. One person in our group was intent on doing 5 dives a day every day. For the night dives, he had a tropical "warm water" drysuit. It was light weight, and offered him that little bit of an edge that he needed to do the 5 dives each day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom