What is the best Solution to warm yourself?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone knows where one can find a good undervest with integrated hood that is 4 to 5 mm thick?

There has to be a reason that you are making so much of this. I'm beginning to think that it is fit.

A leaky wetsuit will drag you down over time. You are always losing heat to the water, you need to slow it down to fit your diving expectations. Forget all the fancy commercial names, they are just that. Pretty much all the same stuff. Fit is everything, both for you and your exposure protection. Go custom, get thick and a perfect fit.

Customizers exist: CUSTOM WETSUITS | AQUAFLITE The wetsuit you have been looking for I have no experience or prior knowledge of these guys, other than they advertise on the web.

I have a very, very hard time believing that something like a fleece or nylon or other material worn instead of a wet suit is going to provide equivalent warmth. I have used wool socks, sweaters, dive skins, thick flleece lined dive skins and they all help but with the exception of wool socks (worn under dive boots) I don't see a huge benefit.

Yes those heat packs are pretty inexpensive, compared to some of the other solutions. Another option is a freedive type of suit. No zippers, attached hood, FJ pants, no leakage due to smooth rubber interior. I think a 7 mm freedive suit would be way too warm for 75 degrees, unless the air was really cold. 5 mm freedive suit is pretty amazing - flexible and comfortable.

A tri-lam drysuit with an undergarment is probably lighter to travel with than double layer wetsuits.

However, if you are inclined to stay wet, I would recommend a full 5 mm as sufficiently comfortable for most, adding a 5 mm hood if needed

If still not enough, as an alternative to the a.m. hooded vest you might consider a one size larger farmer john front zip as an overlayer over a full 5 mm suit. Henderson makes a great one that is extremely easy on/off. I love it.

I admit I get tired of the "what should I wear" threads. So, shoot me. Get a farmer john 7 mil wetsuit, strap on all the weight and enjoy the dive. Crap-- 75F and I'm in a shorty. Everybody's different (how many times have I said that--see "Old Threads" Thread). Figure it out, man....

But the marvel of a place like SB is that you don't have to figure it out all by yourself as if you're the only person who ever faced the question before.

I just came back from Anilao where the temperature of the water was not what I expected: 24° C ( 75°F).
We have been diving there 2 to 3 times a day for 10+ consecutive days. I was wearing a MAres Fexa wetsuit ( 5/4/3 mm ) and I was still cold, especially on the second or third dive of 70 to 80 minutes.

I know that I am extremelly suceptible to cold water. Even my old 2 mm Aqualung undervest was not doing any good.

So my quetion is the following:

What do you guys advise: over or under vest?. Short or complete? Brand/Thickness......... Please help.

Thank you

What solution would I recommend to be nice and warm? I'd suggest a 57% alcohol solution, something like this: Expert Liquor Recommendations | Distiller

Oh, sorry, you meant while diving.

I wear a 5/4mm Scubapro suit and I get cold on longer/consecutive dives even in 26C water, so I think my suggestions may be appropriate for you:

• A thin beanie cap makes a big difference without the bulk & constraint of a thicker hood or vest:
    Ocean Quest 2mm Premium Super-Stretch Titanium Dive Beanie
  • I use a Thermulation heated shirt. I typically turn on the shirt after about 30~40 minutes, and a set of batteries is more than enough for a 70~80 minute dive -- probably OK for 2 dives at that rate. The shirt makes a huge difference for me, particularly at the safety stop, waiting for a boat, on even during a surface interval. They are expensive, but may be found on eBay for ~50% off.
    Thermalution.com

Rmssetc , that Thermalution heated wetsuit looks like what I wanted to get, but the price was chilling!
I also wondered about localized heat, and skin bends, since the skin area being heated more than the other parts of the body might have the Nitrogen gas come out of solution right there. I have heard this is a reason not to take a hot shower or hot tub soak right after diving. Have you seen any sign of this in your experience?

I have a harveys 3mm fj
it dont allow water to flow through because of seals installed
get in the water andyo have to pull the neck to flood it.
get out and yo are the michelan man till someone can break the leg seal to allow it to drain.

When I was in a similar situation I tried a Lavacore hooded vest, and I was still cold. I estimate it added the equivalent of about 2mm of neoprene. I then bought a proper 3mm neoprene hooded vest and decided it solved the problem.

Rmssetc , that Thermalution heated wetsuit looks like what I wanted to get, but the price was chilling!
I also wondered about localized heat, and skin bends, since the skin area being heated more than the other parts of the body might have the Nitrogen gas come out of solution right there. I have heard this is a reason not to take a hot shower or hot tub soak right after diving. Have you seen any sign of this in your experience?

I haven't seen any signs of this personally.

The heating zones on the shirt are localized, but less so than, say, putting a hot water bottle on dry skin. The sensation from the shirt is much like adding a warm fluid, um, "water", inside the wetsuit while diving. I'd guess that at most there's about a 15~20 degree (F) differential between 76 degree sea water and the warmest spot from the shirt, when it's at the highest setting, before the layer of water trapped inside the wetsuit has warmed & circulated. Another comparison would be the feeling of warming up from sitting in the direct (tropical) sun during a surface interval on a day when the air temp is almost equal to the water temp. Far less heat than a hot shower or hot tub.

I have read some studies about the effect of temperature and DCS. As I recall, the advice can sort of be summarized as "start the dive cool, end warm", ie., being cooler during the greatest nitrogen loading phase (depth) and warmer while ascending helps decrease the amount of N2 taken in and enhances the release. However, my understanding is that the studies focus on colder water (maybe 12~15C/55~60F) and that the risk is greatest for divers if heating systems used during the entire dive fail during extended deco in cold water...ie., they took in more N2 by being warm at the beginning and then retain N2 at a greater rate by being cold at the end.

My personal opinion is that using a heated vest for the latter 1/2 of a dive, at moderate heat settings, in an environment where it isn't producing a very large differential vs ambient water temperatures, during "warm water" rec diving introduces much less of increased risk of DCS than it does decreasing the risk of doing something stupid because I'm cold....but maybe that's just a rationalization, not real fact.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom