What is the best Solution to warm yourself?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are cold, don't take half steps. Go to a full 1/4" (6mm) unskinned (thicker rubber) "Farmer John" combo. The pants come up bib style over the shoulders, and the jacket (with full sleeves) adds a second layer of neoprene to make 1/2" over the body core. 1/4" hood and 3-finger gloves (keeps the fingers warmer, which keeps the core warmer) and boots finish it off.

If that doesn't work (and that might require 10 kilos of weights) the only thing warmer IS a pricey dry suit and thermal liner.

If you are cold, don't take half steps.

I can't agree with this enough. I half-stepped my way through years of being too cold, trying to make use of what I'd already bought by adding a bit more to it time after time, always thinking a bit more would solve the problem.

Ultimately, my efforts to save money meant that I spent money on things that didn't solve the problem. If I could have foreseen how it would all have worked out, I'd have bought the drysuit years sooner. This would have saved me money overall but more importantly, would have greatly increased my enjoyment while diving.

But I digress. @Rred's point about not taking half-measures is an important one. If you're cold, it's going to take a bigger step than you think to fix it.

I just came back from Anilao where the temperature of the water was not what I expected: 24° C ( 75°F).
We have been diving there 2 to 3 times a day for 10+ consecutive days. I was wearing a MAres Fexa wetsuit ( 5/4/3 mm ) and I was still cold, especially on the second or third dive of 70 to 80 minutes.

I know that I am extremelly suceptible to cold water. Even my old 2 mm Aqualung undervest was not doing any good.

So my quetion is the following:

What do you guys advise: over or under vest?. Short or complete? Brand/Thickness......... Please help.

Thank you

I have always found a 2-3mm hooded vest adds a lot to warmth and for some reason doesn't tend to choke me as much as a typical hood. UNDER.

My 14 year old is a runner and well... young. This means he's got very little body fat and he gets cold very easily. We purchased a 5mm Bare wetsuit for him and he was miserable. Returned the next day to our LDS and they recommended the Bare Minerals 5mm suit for him. I was a little skeptical, but one of the guys there said he tried it and was amazed at the difference. Not sure if it was placebo effect or not, but he was VERY warm on his next dive with that suit.

Bare Reactive

I just came back from Anilao where the temperature of the water was not what I expected: 24° C ( 75°F).
We have been diving there 2 to 3 times a day for 10+ consecutive days. I was wearing a MAres Fexa wetsuit ( 5/4/3 mm ) and I was still cold, especially on the second or third dive of 70 to 80 minutes.

I know that I am extremelly suceptible to cold water. Even my old 2 mm Aqualung undervest was not doing any good.

So my quetion is the following:

What do you guys advise: over or under vest?. Short or complete? Brand/Thickness......... Please help.

Thank you

75 degrees is pretty warm. If you buy a quality 7 mm suit, you will need a lot of lead, but I think you will be warm.

Another "trick" is the use of the re-usable chemical heat packs. I used to use them when I was commercial diving in cool weather and was in the water for 4-5 hrs per day. They work well for maybe 35 minutes. Also, as others have said, you need to have enough calories to burn as well.

I got something similar at the local drug store. They undergo an exothermic reaction which turns the internal liquid into a solid, so they get stiff, but you can place one over your belly. I never wore one directly in contact with the skin,

https://www.amazon.com/HEAT-WAVE-In...1488071283&sr=8-1&keywords=chemical+heat+pack

That warm spot in your wetsuit is termed a "Urinecline". It's all I need. :D

In PG I was then using a 3mm with a lavacore hooded vest. I did the day dives in just the 3mm all good at the usual sabang sites like canyons, monkey beach, giant clams, manila channel etc then added the vest for night dives or last dive of the day hopefully giving it time to dry out a bit overnight. Dive time 60 mins, not a photographer so I understand you would be feeling colder. I always had a bowl of soup between dives in Phils and often have soup in a thermos if im going diving here to warm from the inside out as soon as possible. Now using a 5mm aquaflex which has been great so far - although i have added the lavacore underneath here at home where the water temp has been 18 - 20c.

I admit I get tired of the "what should I wear" threads. So, shoot me. Get a farmer john 7 mil wetsuit, strap on all the weight and enjoy the dive. Crap-- 75F and I'm in a shorty. Everybody's different (how many times have I said that--see "Old Threads" Thread). Figure it out, man....

75 degrees is pretty warm. If you buy a quality 7 mm suit, you will need a lot of lead, but I think you will be warm.

Another "trick" is the use of the re-usable chemical heat packs. I used to use them when I was commercial diving in cool weather and was in the water for 4-5 hrs per day. They work well for maybe 35 minutes. Also, as others have said, you need to have enough calories to burn as well.

I got something similar at the local drug store. They undergo an exothermic reaction which turns the internal liquid into a solid, so they get stiff, but you can place one over your belly. I never wore one directly in contact with the skin,

https://www.amazon.com/HEAT-WAVE-In...1488071283&sr=8-1&keywords=chemical+heat+pack

I like the idea of the heat provided by cristalization? I would put the pack between my undervest and my wetsuit in my back rather than my tummy like you did.

Funny to see that nobody is talking about LAvacore, Sharkskin or Ceramics coates undervest as superior to neoprene. Any thoughs on those?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom