What is the appeal of Lake, Cold, Low vis diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So what is the appeal of diving in lakes, quarries, cold, low vis waters?

Is it just the thrill of the diving itself?
Is it the challenge presented by the conditions?
Maybe sometimes there is something interesting to see?

First things first: Lake, cold and low-viz can (and often are) connected but don't have to be.

Shallow diving in Swiss lakes gets quite warm in summer. Viz is pretty good during the winter and below a certain depth.

It's interesting, because we also have ~70 species you can find here. There are wrecks as well and the feeling of "flying" past an amazing wall that disappears into the darkness below you is exhilarating.

Here's a video from a lake dive.

Two Lake Superior trips on Sol Mates charter out of Silver Bay Minnesota. Wrecks from 100 years ago are still in almost pristine condition due to cold water, low oxygen and no salt. No coral concealing wreck details. Little plant life and sediment. I can dress for cold. When the water is warmer than bath water, I get overheated. One can only remove so much exposure protection before ending up as a solo diver with no boat.

Two Lake Superior trips on Sol Mates charter out of Silver Bay Minnesota. Wrecks from 100 years ago are still in almost pristine condition due to cold water, low oxygen and no salt. No coral concealing wreck details. Little plant life and sediment. I can dress for cold. When the water is warmer than bath water, I get overheated. One can only remove so much exposure protection before ending up as a solo diver with no boat.
Factually incorrect, any water colder than 98.7 degrees is draining heat from your body 25x faster than air. If you dive in water warmer than that where and when would that be?
That's why you can die from exposure from prolonged submersion in water as warm as 85-90 degrees.

Another one from 15+ years ago, you're on a roll :)
I guess since he’s the OP from 15+ years ago, it kind of makes sense to reply :)

I now live near Dauin. Philippines. Nearest dive is 5 minute walk to some of the best macro diving in the world. Cold for me is 80 degrees. I think I will stick with my warm water ocean diving!
Consider changing the Location listed in your profile.

As to the original question, I prefer warm water diving, but the one trip I took to see century-old wooden wrecks that had been well preserved by cold lake water made me realize the appeal.

As a PSD it is a very tranquil time in zero viz. Now, of course, this depends on what you are in the water for. Listening to your breathing is no different than meditation. We just finished up some ice diving. If you have never done that, even in limited visibility, you are missing out. There is a different feeling, set of rules and safety to think about when you dip below the ice shelf. Dive Safe Dive Often.

Factually incorrect, any water colder than 98.7 degrees is draining heat from your body 25x faster than air. If you dive in water warmer than that where and when would that be?
That's why you can die from exposure from prolonged submersion in water as warm as 85-90 degrees.

Homestead Crater in Midway Utah​

Consider changing the Location listed in your profile.

As to the original question, I prefer warm water diving, but the one trip I took to see century-old wooden wrecks that had been well preserved by cold lake water made me realize the appeal.
Not fond of disclosing everything to internet data collectors. I keep them guessing with varied information.

The way it was explained to me in training was this way and it makes a lot of sense. Sometimes diving in a quarry where it is usually low viz makes you a better diver. When you are in the tropics and conditions turn bad you are better able to handle those conditions, you learn to look for up close life and you don't panic. I have been on dives in low viz in Florida and people come up on the boat and say they didn't see anything. It's on those dives where I seem to have seen a lot more of the smaller marine life. Have fun and develop those skills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom