What is "servicing" a regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't get too excited. With proper care, You may find you have to wait a long time before your regs need actual service...
True but I just remembered, Oceanic supply free parts for life but only if they're serviced at the recommended interval and with an authorised dealer :(

True but I just remembered, Oceanic supply free parts for life but only if they're serviced at the recommended interval and with an authorised dealer :(
Good luck getting Oceanic parts. Or any regulator parts from Huish. There seems to be a wobble at headquarters, which I'm sure will work itself out over time, but we just had to service 24 deltas from the local community college, and parts were tough to come by. About 6 weeks tough.

Good luck getting Oceanic parts. Or any regulator parts from Huish. There seems to be a wobble at headquarters, which I'm sure will work itself out over time, but we just had to service 24 deltas from the local community college, and parts were tough to come by. About 6 weeks tough.

Yeah I heard that a while ago, just AFTER I bought my regs unfortunately. I asked my LDS(where I bought all my gear) about it and they assured me that there won't be any problems getting parts in Australia, time will tell I guess but the **** will hit the fan if they cant when the time comes.

Cheers, Mike

I wouldn't put that on Huish though, that problem existed long before they took over....

You will need that $5 pile of parts several times in your life...

Not selling parts to consumers has nothing to do with liability, although ever dive shop on the planet will tell you it is. No, it's about the manufacturer supporting the dealer network. That's why MAP, MARP, and dealer service and repair clinics exist, to prop up a poor business model.
It’s a poor business model because it relies on the customer being stupid enough to not think of shopping around first (as in the internet) and seizing a sale before they wise up.
It’s also a vulnerable sales model. Businesses that demand a 100% markup on the crap they sell are very easy targets. No other retail industry still enjoys a 100% markup, that’s so long gone. Now days most retail works with 30-35% markups.
The service by authorized dealers only and no parts to end user crap is just part of that outdated business model.
I only own regulators that I know I can get parts on my own and are simple to rebuild. It also helps to have friends in the industry, which if anybody is in a hobby for long enough will have a network of buddies.

I wouldn't put that on Huish though, that problem existed long before they took over....
I’m guessing just about the time Huish came sniffing around looking to buy....

No other retail industry still enjoys a 100% markup, that’s so long gone. Now days most retail works with 30-35% markups.

This industry is no different. Those margins disappeared long ago. I would say now days even 30-35% is generous for some brands/items.

Not wishing to hijack the thread but..
Re-servicing regs, I’m still a newbie at servicing my own but have done my older USD and SP ones and provided you go slowly/carefully with the right tools and follow the procedures it is easy, in fact its quite enjoyable! In the process I have realised a few things:
Ive had these regs for many years and they now breathe better than they ever did after being serviced by “authorized” techs, sad but true!
Performance of exhaust valves is not just about size, there are aftermarket mushroom valves that outperform factory ones significantly in ease of exhalation and are still bone dry. A 26mm valve with a better, more flexible valve breathes as well as some 32mm Ones with stiff factory valves that appear to have been designed that way to ensure the larger valve remains dry? The ultimate (in my limited experience so far) has been a 29mm with a VDH valve fitted- feels like there nothing there at all!
Regulator advances over the last 30 years??? Honestly, when the older classics (Conshelf XIV and SP 156, in this case) are clean, serviced, tuned and fitted with new components they are the equal of just about anything new out there, no BS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom